emiieeeeee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am looking to apply to Uni in 2022 and hope to eventually be a patent attorney. My favourite subject is chemistry however am torn between a chemistry degree and a natural science degree and am wondering which would give me best opportunities going forward to a PhD and then eventually pattent attorney.
Thanks in advance for the help
Allmeliton
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Natural sciences are for those who specifically want to do more than 1 science at once, you getting a NatSci degree or a chemistry degree would have a similar effect in my opinion. You say you want to be a patent attorney, which is much more legally focused than science or natural science focused. So it won't really affect it that much in my opinion.

So ask yourself this: Do you want to study chemistry and just chemistry or do you want to do a bit of chemistry, bit of physics or biology and maybe even a bit of a third science? If your answer is the first option, go chemistry. If it's the second one, go NatSci. Quite a few offer both courses though I'd say the only exception to this is if you want to go to Oxbridge as Cambridge only does NatSci while Oxford doesn't do it at all and has you do the specific course (so I guess if you're torn between those 2, that's a helpful differentiating factor). But if you want to do NatSci, do remember that not many universities offer NatSci compared to the amount that offer straight Chemistry. I'd recommend you keep that in mind when making a decision.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emiieeeeee)
Hi,
I am looking to apply to Uni in 2022 and hope to eventually be a patent attorney. My favourite subject is chemistry however am torn between a chemistry degree and a natural science degree and am wondering which would give me best opportunities going forward to a PhD and then eventually pattent attorney.
Thanks in advance for the help
Hi there,

I am a current Natural Sciences student, so hopefully I can help. You can go into a PhD from any degree, and I'm fairly certain you can become a patent attorney with a NatSci degree (as one of my course mates is intending on doing this). The one that gives you the best opportunities is the one that you enjoy the most, as you will always excel and do better in whichever one you prefer. Chemistry is better if you like all aspects of chemistry (inorganic, organic, physical, computational etc.), but NatSci is better if you have more interdisciplinary interests in multiple sciences, but maybe don't like 100% of one science. For example, on NatSci you could study just inorganic and organic chemistry (but not physical chemistry), as well as studying modules from another science such as biology. I personally much prefer being on NatSci as it means I can choose exactly the modules I want, without being forced to study modules I don't like.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
emiieeeeee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there,

I am a current Natural Sciences student, so hopefully I can help. You can go into a PhD from any degree, and I'm fairly certain you can become a patent attorney with a NatSci degree (as one of my course mates is intending on doing this). The one that gives you the best opportunities is the one that you enjoy the most, as you will always excel and do better in whichever one you prefer. Chemistry is better if you like all aspects of chemistry (inorganic, organic, physical, computational etc.), but NatSci is better if you have more interdisciplinary interests in multiple sciences, but maybe don't like 100% of one science. For example, on NatSci you could study just inorganic and organic chemistry (but not physical chemistry), as well as studying modules from another science such as biology. I personally much prefer being on NatSci as it means I can choose exactly the modules I want, without being forced to study modules I don't like.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions
Thank You that is Very helpful
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emiieeeeee)
Thank You that is Very helpful
Hi there,

No problem, glad I could help

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads