Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Last edited by username5779296; 1 month ago
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
You won't meet their entry requirements by a considerable margin, so no.

I also can't help but think that your GPA is lower than it should be - is a 3.3 the equivalent of a low 2.1 in the UK? What's the excuse for that?
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think that's how that is done. If I am wrong and coming across as a massive prick then feel free to egg me but where did you get your 82.5% score from...? Did you do 3.3/4 *100...? If you're an american or at a country that uses the similar american GPA system then you can't just translate your GPA percentage as a percentage of the total GPA since it's not linearly weighted I don't think.

Via Oxford: "We would expect you to be performing at a high 2.1 or first class level (a US GPA of 3.5-4.0)". Again this is america-specific but I don't think you can just divide gpa to get the equivalent since otherwise oxford would not consider 3.5 to be a high 2:1 ( its 87.5% which would be a first over here)
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...qualifications
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LOL germany use good/very good for grading??? lmfao. And fair enough my above comment was questioning where you got the 82.5% figure from, ig you attempted to convert your percentage into a gpa? Either way you should be fine then ig
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
It appears that OP has deleted their post but, if they have a First class degree and a 25 in the IB, it really could go either way. OP should email the university directly and ask whether they'd be considered.
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
I don't think that's how that is done. If I am wrong and coming across as a massive prick then feel free to egg me but where did you get your 82.5% score from...? Did you do 3.3/4 *100...? If you're an american or at a country that uses the similar american GPA system then you can't just translate your GPA percentage as a percentage of the total GPA since it's not linearly weighted I don't think.

Via Oxford: "We would expect you to be performing at a high 2.1 or first class level (a US GPA of 3.5-4.0)". Again this is america-specific but I don't think you can just divide gpa to get the equivalent since otherwise oxford would not consider 3.5 to be a high 2:1 ( its 87.5% which would be a first over here)
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...qualifications
This is not how it works. You don't multiply to get the UK percentage score. For US universities, this chart is the best approximation: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to...ture/academics. A 3.7 would be seen as equivalent to a First. Oxford and Cambridge - both of which require Firsts for most of their postgrad courses - usually put their postgrad offers at a 3.7 or 3.8 for US applicants. That should say it all, really.

Obviously, OP hasn't studied in the US, so they should consult the equivalent chart or email the universities directly. No point in guessing.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
This is not how it works. You don't multiply to get the UK percentage score. For US universities, this chart is the best approximation: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to...ture/academics. A 3.7 would be seen as equivalent to a First. Oxford and Cambridge - both of which require Firsts for most of their postgrad courses - usually put their postgrad offers at a 3.7 or 3.8 for US applicants. That should say it all, really.

Obviously, OP hasn't studied in the US, so they should consult the equivalent chart or email the universities directly. No point in guessing.
yes... that's what I was saying lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads