Is it worth attending fresher's week as a 26 year old mature student?

Watch
lyonbabe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'll be moving to a new city where I won't know a soul, so it's in my best interest to try and meet people. But my dilemma is that I'm older than the average uni student. I'd like to meet other mature students at fresher events, but are mature students likely to attend these?

I'm not much of a drinker, I mean I will drink but getting hammered is out of the question, and I certainly won't drink often.

What kind of events are there at freshers week anyway? From what I've seen it's mainly drinking events for my particular uni. I just want to know if it's worth going or not as a mature student trying to find other mature students.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are usually some societies/clubs fairs and the like, where you can see what your uni has available for those. Also often there are mandatory induction sessions from your departments, which can include stuff like info about library access, plagiarism, to things like lab safety training (which you usually need to do before you can go into labs), getting your student card/IT account set up, etc. So not all of freshers week is just drinking
tired_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, at my uni there was a lot of drinking during freshers. However, if you can join societies/clubs, sometimes they put on events during freshers which will be more orientated to what you enjoy. Also, I think my uni has Facebook groups for people who don't drink, as well as for mature students, so yours might too. I'm not a mature student but I have the same views on drinking - honestly I found freshers hard because of covid and because it's damn hard to find all the non-drinking introverts.Your best bet might be to look at any events your uni is organising that don't seem to be orientated towards drinking, so you can find people there. Good luck!
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At least join a mature student society. 3 years is miserable and depressing basically alone
neal95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hell yeah, age dosent even matter. Most students wouldnt even be able to tell you are much older than them, I could easily get away with being 16-18 if i wanted to lol. It helps if you are smaller than others too. Dont overthink it, I think as a mature student you are ideally placed to be young enough to enjoy nights out but also mature enough to knuckle down when it matters. Your age will only become a big thing if you make it one.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was 46 when I went along. I attended all the fresher fairs and there were a few societies I could have joined (but didn’t bother as I didn’t move for university) and did the library and it bits and department talks and the law department bbq in the afternoon, chatted to course mates etc.
Then went home!
So pretty much a busy 3-4 days without actually drinking!
(I would have suggested also doing things locally -ie if into football, joining a local football group for people who like to play after work. The stuff you do doesn’t have to be university related, can be whatever anyone moving to that town for work would do.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I think that it is worth it.
I've met plenty of mature students 25+ during freshers week and made so many great friends.
Most students don't even notice each others ages.
Good luck at uni and making new friends!
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lyonbabe)
I'll be moving to a new city where I won't know a soul, so it's in my best interest to try and meet people. But my dilemma is that I'm older than the average uni student. I'd like to meet other mature students at fresher events, but are mature students likely to attend these?

I'm not much of a drinker, I mean I will drink but getting hammered is out of the question, and I certainly won't drink often.

What kind of events are there at freshers week anyway? From what I've seen it's mainly drinking events for my particular uni. I just want to know if it's worth going or not as a mature student trying to find other mature students.
Hi lyonbabe

As an extra mature student (58, but 25 in my head!) I wouldn't worry too much. 37% of undergraduate students are mature in the UK and 50% of post grads according to the House of Commons Library. You will no doubt have some University talks and introductions during the week as well as society things, so it is a good chance to start to find your feet and find your way around.

Yes, many societies will have drinking socials, and sometimes will do non drinking socials as well. You may well find a mature students society at your institution as well. You should be able to find a list of your institutions societies on the Student Union web pages, so it is worth having a look to see if there are any that interest you. I made contact with a number of other mature students through the society and the advice they gave me was very helpful, for example they steered me towards useful sessions in learning skills and support that was available.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lyonbabe)

I would go, there will be interesting things to see, clubs etc to join, maybe some free stuff!

Which Uni are you going to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.74%
Excited but a bit nervous (145)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.84%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.25%

Watched Threads