jmicb97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm doing the LPC next year at either BPP or ULaw before starting my TC in September. I've heard very mixed things about doing an LPC LLM top-up, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions:

1. Is there any point whatsoever doing an LPC LLM, or is it just for people who want student funding?
2. Could having a Master's help with finding work abroad?
3. Would a Master's be useful if I wanted to transition out of law?

Thanks!
Last edited by jmicb97; 1 month ago
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I suppose Is the llm version same price as the lpc without it? Module wise it’s just a dissertation at the end isn’t it?
I figure it’s better to have the llm if not much price difference than not though 10000 words is a lot to write?
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
1. Only for the PG funding or because their firm made them do it - otherwise no.
2. Depends on the country and the work, surely, but probably not because it's not an academic degree.
3. It's not a master's degree, and master's degrees in unrelated fields are useless, so no.

(Original post by Catherine1973)
I suppose Is the llm version same price as the lpc without it? Module wise it’s just a dissertation at the end isn’t it?
I figure it’s better to have the llm if not much price difference than not though 10000 words is a lot to write?
My LLM at BPP was 2 x 3,000 word essays, don't know if this is the case for other people though.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 1 month ago
Gmaster1980
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jmicb97)
I'm doing the LPC next year at either BPP or ULaw before starting my TC in September. I've heard very mixed things about doing an LPC LLM top-up, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions:

1. Is there any point whatsoever doing an LPC LLM, or is it just for people who want student funding?
2. Could having a Master's help with finding work abroad?
3. Would a Master's be useful if I wanted to transition out of law?

Thanks!
Johnny's answer is the right one here.
sloths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you don't mind the dissertation then do it even if just for the sake of having a masters. Yes, it is a tinpot masters but still technically a masters degree and some jobs (in other sectors) have a tick box for having a masters degree. Don't ask me for an example but there will be some.

I didn't do the LLM because I have a distain for dissertations so each to their own
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sloths)
If you don't mind the dissertation then do it even if just for the sake of having a masters. Yes, it is a tinpot masters but still technically a masters degree and some jobs (in other sectors) have a tick box for having a masters degree. Don't ask me for an example but there will be some.

I didn't do the LLM because I have a distain for dissertations so each to their own
These jobs tend to ask for a master's in something, not just a master's, and often tie that to specific skills or knowledge that the master's would've helped someone develop. It doesn't help your point if you can't link us to any.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads