Do Oxford students have access to other colleges?

Watch
bagsbyclairo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm due to start studying at Oxford this autumn, and while I'm very happy with my college, I'd find it a shame to be limited to a single college when every college has beautiful spaces to offer (like New's chapel, Trinity's lawns, Worcester's library, etc.). I know all students receive a Bod Card, but I assume it shows the college you go to - is it possible for students to spend time in other colleges freely?
kaykayjohnson
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bagsbyclairo)
I'm due to start studying at Oxford this autumn, and while I'm very happy with my college, I'd find it a shame to be limited to a single college when every college has beautiful spaces to offer (like New's chapel, Trinity's lawns, Worcester's library, etc.). I know all students receive a Bod Card, but I assume it shows the college you go to - is it possible for students to spend time in other colleges freely?
Yes
elilast
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In normal times, yes you can go into other colleges. However, with covid we haven't been able to do that. Sometimes I think your bod card doesn't let you into other colleges unless you're going with a friend.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not necessarily - a college can deny you access if you aren't from that college.

In realty, there are plenty you can just walk into though, and of course there are various reasons why you might be let in even if you were challenged - you have teaching there, you are a guest, etc.

Things like college bar crawls are a thing - reflecting that this is possible.
Confusedboutlife
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bagsbyclairo)
I didn't find myself visiting other colleges as much as I thought I would (given I love Oxford's architecture) but in normal times depending on college you can visit. Magdalen are usually good with this, as are New, but Christ Church porters can be a bit touchy in my experience. If you have friends at another college then there's usually no issues getting into that college to visit them, they might have to pick you up at the plodge.

I don't think you're allowed to visit other colleges libraries unless you've got a friend who you can tag along with. But working in the upper camera is nice, as is the Duke Humfrey's Library (most beautiful space I've ever been in). Its an amazing city and you're in for a lot of fun. I enjoyed the non-Oxfordy experiences most, surprisingly. Congrats on your offer though! I hope you enjoy your time here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (5)
55.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (4)
44.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads