fatima.aa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I study applied science in college and was wondering if there is any uni that accept this course
replaythat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I highly doubt it - you would have to do a-level biology and chemistry - Have a look at foundation programmes maybe... what are your other subjects
titoxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
there’s actually quite a small few of universities that take btec for medicine. I know exeter does for one but you’ll have to check some more universities. But don’t be disheartened that most don’t because you can always apply for gateway and some universities might take btec for gateway and also you can always do medicine as post graduate
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you looked on university websites?

I believe there may be one or two universities that accept the Applied Science BTEC for medicine - GANFYD may know which they are? However, you will have many more options if there is a way for you to sit A levels, ideally Bio + Chem + one other.

If you are eligible for Foundation Year courses, that could open more doors but you will need to meet widening access criteria.

Can I ask as well why you are taking the BTEC? Were your science GCSE grades not good enough for the A levels? Without seeing harsh, do you think a very rigorous, academic course will be right for you?

There is a "Am I Good Enough for Medicine" angst thread here you might find helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5678544
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by titoxo)
there’s actually quite a small few of universities that take btec for medicine. I know exeter does for one but you’ll have to check some more universities. But don’t be disheartened that most don’t because you can always apply for gateway and some universities might take btec for gateway and also you can always do medicine as post graduate
This is true, but it's worth flagging that postgrad medicine is several times more competitive - as such we'd really not reccomend it for someone struggling to get into standard undergraduate medicine.
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Have you looked on university websites?

I believe there may be one or two universities that accept the Applied Science BTEC for medicine - GANFYD may know which they are? However, you will have many more options if there is a way for you to sit A levels, ideally Bio + Chem + one other.

If you are eligible for Foundation Year courses, that could open more doors but you will need to meet widening access criteria.

Can I ask as well why you are taking the BTEC? Were your science GCSE grades not good enough for the A levels? Without seeing harsh, do you think a very rigorous, academic course will be right for you?

There is a "Am I Good Enough for Medicine" angst thread here you might find helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5678544
A few med schools will accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma but many need it in addition to 1 or 2 A levels. Those who openly state it is acceptable are
Aston
BSMS (plus chem and bio A levels)
Bristol (plus chem A level)
Exeter (plus chem and bio A levels)
Possibly Lancaster, but not accepted on its own
Leicester (plus chem and bio/science A levels)
Oxford (have complicated requirements, generally needing A levels, too, so check out the website)
Plymouth (but applicants required to sit the GAMSAT)
Southampton (plus chem and bio A levels)

These are standard A100 courses, and it may well be different for Foundation Courses, but WP requirements are not my are of expertise
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
A few med schools will accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma but many need it in addition to 1 or 2 A levels. Those who openly state it is acceptable are
Aston
BSMS (plus chem and bio A levels)
Bristol (plus chem A level)
Exeter (plus chem and bio A levels)
Possibly Lancaster, but not accepted on its own
Leicester (plus chem and bio/science A levels)
Oxford (have complicated requirements, generally needing A levels, too, so check out the website)
Plymouth (but applicants required to sit the GAMSAT)
Southampton (plus chem and bio A levels)

These are standard A100 courses, and it may well be different for Foundation Courses, but WP requirements are not my are of expertise
:ta: :heart:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads