Santander Student account

Watch
asa_1224
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey guys, so i want to apply for santander student account for my student loan but their eligibility says
"you must have an ‘unconditional’ or ‘confirmed conditional’ offer (i.e. you have your exam results) before you apply"

I dont have any unconditional offer and i am still waiting for my results, but student finance has been telling me to give them an account asap. Should i still apply for santander or should i go for another bank account?

PS i am currently in the middle of applying for the account but they ask for rent costs and stuff like that which i am still not sure where to live yet (i have applied for accomidation but i am not 100% sure if i could make into that university so idk how much im paying for rent)
flowerskerfuffle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't need a student account to get student finance. I'm with natwest. I didn't have one until about 2nd year, when I discovered interest-free student overdrafts.
My advice is don't get one, you'll get stuck in a rut about it, just be careful with money. They probably need confirmation you're a student because people try to get the overdraft that has no interest.

But yeah, you can receive student finance with a normal account.
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asa_1224)
hey guys, so i want to apply for santander student account for my student loan but their eligibility says
"you must have an ‘unconditional’ or ‘confirmed conditional’ offer (i.e. you have your exam results) before you apply"

I dont have any unconditional offer and i am still waiting for my results, but student finance has been telling me to give them an account asap. Should i still apply for santander or should i go for another bank account?
They just need to know the details of an account that they can pay your maintenance loan into. It doesn't need to be a "student account", and in fact most people who will be starting at university in September won't have (or be eligible for) a student account yet.

You can open a student account closer to the time and update your banking details with student finance later.

If you know you want to get a Santander student account when the time comes, open a normal Santander account now. They can then change it to be a student account later (and they almost certainly won't need to change the sort code or account number when that happens).
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asa_1224)

PS i am currently in the middle of applying for the account but they ask for rent costs and stuff like that which i am still not sure where to live yet (i have applied for accomidation but i am not 100% sure if i could make into that university so idk how much im paying for rent)
You don't need to provide account details to apply for student finance, and you don't need to provide them until about a week before your first payment is due at the latest.

This is quite normal. Wait for your results and your offer to convert to unconditional, then apply for a student account. Once you've got your account details, provide them to SFE.
asa_1224
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks guys, that explains a lot now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.21%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.26%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads