yara56394484
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In October, I will be applying for medicine and I am eager to study at Cardiff university. I have talked to some successful Cardiff applicants and many have said Cardiff look for students with a great deal of extracurriculars. Is this true for this years applicants?
Is there anything I can do that Cardiff look for?
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yara56394484)
In October, I will be applying for medicine and I am eager to study at Cardiff university. I have talked to some successful Cardiff applicants and many have said Cardiff look for students with a great deal of extracurriculars. Is this true for this years applicants?
Is there anything I can do that Cardiff look for?
Cardiff has needed 9 x 9/8/A* GCSEs for the last couple of years, for a non-contextual applicant. They have had more applicants with full GCSE marks than interview places, so have used PS and UCAT to cut the numbers down. So it is probably too late to change your GCSEs, and if they are not perfect, then an application is likely to be wasted

becausethenight, does this need moving? Thanks
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 month ago
yara56394484
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I achieved 11A*s at GCSEs but im worried becayse I don’t have extra curricular such as sport and music.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yara56394484)
I achieved 11A*s at GCSEs but im worried becayse I don’t have extra curricular such as sport and music.
What Cardiff say they are looking for in a PS:

• Insight into a career in Medicine,
• Evidence of experience and reflection in a caring environment
• Evidence and reflection of personal responsibility,
• Evidence of a balanced approach to life
• Evidence of self-directed learning.

You still have 6 months, but sport nad music are not needed to evidence any of those points
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Cardiff has needed 9 x 9/8/A* GCSEs for the last couple of years, for a non-contextual applicant. They have had more applicants with full GCSE marks than interview places, so have used PS and UCAT to cut the numbers down. So it is probably too late to change your GCSEs, and if they are not perfect, then an application is likely to be wasted

becausethenight, does this need moving? Thanks
It's in medical schools, so I think it's in the right place probably :iiam:

We have been asked not to merge threads anymore because it causes tech issues and users feel that they've lost their query so I won't do that, but yara56394484, there is a Cardiff A100 2022 applicants thread here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7035436 that may be worth keeping an eye on!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
It's in medical schools, so I think it's in the right place probably :iiam:

We have been asked not to merge threads anymore because it causes tech issues and users feel that they've lost their query so I won't do that, but yara56394484, there is a Cardiff A100 2022 applicants thread here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7035436 that may be worth keeping an eye on!
Fair enough. It's gonna be chaos and they will get far less support, as more experienced users do not always frequent isolated threads. As you say, the Cardiff main thread is probably where OP needs to hang out
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Fair enough. It's gonna be chaos and they will get far less support, as more experienced users do not always frequent isolated threads. As you say, the Cardiff main thread is probably where OP needs to hang out
Oh believe me I have complained about it :lol:
Apparently it is fundamentally a tech issue so unlikely to get changed...

But I agree that while it may help out new users, it is going to be incredibly frustrating for everyone else!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.74%
Excited but a bit nervous (145)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.84%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.25%

Watched Threads