The Student Room Group

how long does it take for starvation mode to come into effect?

Moderation Note: Trigger warning for anyone affected by eating disorders please contact

BEAT Eating Disorders - Adults and youths, eating disorders
Tel: 0808 801 0677 (adult helpline) / 0808 801 0711 (youthline)
Email: [email protected] (adult helpline) / [email protected] (youthline)

I've heard many different answers from a month to several months...so how long does it take? (I'm hoping 7 months or more lol)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why....?
Reply 2
If you are starving yourself to lose weight, it's really not worth the trouble.
Reply 3
Original post by jas149
Why....?

been eating 800 calories for several months now and I've read if you go back to eating normally, you gain all the weight you lost plus more
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
If you are starving yourself to lose weight, it's really not worth the trouble.

I am not starving myself, I'm just on a very low calorie diet of 800
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I am not starving myself, I'm just on a very low calorie diet of 800

eating only 800 calories is starving yourself lol. Unless you're 2ft tall
Reply 6
Original post by jas149
eating only 800 calories is starving yourself lol. Unless you're 2ft tall

technically yes, hence why I want to increase but don't want to gain too much weight ( a pound or two is fine)
Starvation mode doesn't exist.
Reply 8
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Starvation mode doesn't exist.

yet people gain weight + more when they return to an increased calorie diet of 1400-1500 a day?
yet people gain weight + more when they return to an increased calorie diet of 1400-1500 a day?

yes bc they are eating more?????
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
yes bc they are eating more?????

yes but more than their original weight before they started the extreme diet. obviously I don't want to gain more than 4 pounds ideally less
yes but more than their original weight before they started the extreme diet. obviously I don't want to gain more than 4 pounds ideally less

try to eat a bit over 1,300 calories (this is what i consume in a day as a 5'2 girl) and do 1 - 2 hours of exercise a day or every other day. You'll be healthier and gain a bit of weight but still be skinny or whatever
Are you familiar with “basal metabolic rate”? It’s essentially the calories you need to consume just to survive and anything less is a calorific deficit.

So, just work that out and anything less is starving yourself. When I say that, I mean you literally lie in bed all day and don’t move at all, it does not take into account walking or even the energy needed to take a shower...

Although I do feel I need to ask this, how tall are you, your weight and sex if you don’t mind? Don’t want to give away information which would otherwise be taken wrong and it have negative consequences.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AveriNova
try to eat a bit over 1,300 calories (this is what i consume in a day as a 5'2 girl) and do 1 - 2 hours of exercise a day or every other day. You'll be healthier and gain a bit of weight but still be skinny or whatever

thank you..I will implement that tomorrow and hopefully it will all go well.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Are you familiar with “basal metabolic rate”? It’s essentially the calories you need to consume just to survive and anything less is a calorific deficit.

So, just work that out and anything less is starving yourself. When I say that, I mean you literally lie in bed all day and don’t move at all, it does not take into account walking or even the energy needed to take a shower...

Although I do feel I need to ask this, how tall are you, your weight and sex if you don’t mind? Don’t want to give away information which would otherwise be taken wrong and it have negative consequences.

thank you! I am familiar with it, although starvation mode posts etc. have made me skeptical due to the amount of weight people gain after very low calorie diets.

I'm 5 foot 4, I weight 7 stone 3 and I'm female :smile:
thank you! I am familiar with it, although starvation mode posts etc. have made me skeptical due to the amount of weight people gain after very low calorie diets.

I'm 5 foot 4, I weight 7 stone 3 and I'm female :smile:

sorry but I also forgot to ask your age. Different ages have different metabolic rates (typically, not fixed in stone).
like 1 hour for me lmaoo.
I have a really fast metabolism and I snack all the time
sorry but I also forgot to ask your age. Different ages have different metabolic rates (typically, not fixed in stone).

ah I'm 17
ah I'm 17

I’d say you’re within a healthy weight, perhaps SLIGHTLY underweight but not dangerously so. So I wouldn’t recommend dieting and trying to maintain it. 🙂

Assuming when you say 7 stone, you mean exactly and not 7 stone 4 lbs etc...
I’d say you’re within a healthy weight, perhaps SLIGHTLY underweight but not dangerously so. So I wouldn’t recommend dieting and trying to maintain it. 🙂

Assuming when you say 7 stone, you mean exactly and not 7 stone 4 lbs etc...

I am not trying to diet anymore, I'm actually trying to come off of a VLCD haha.

I said 7 stone 3 pounds oops my mistake

Latest