power went down and now computer won't work

Watch
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We had a water fight and the power went down Now its showing an error message 'a nongenuine AC adapter has been detected' and then it jut shuts down.

inspiron 3264

3jcl872 (service tag)
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hope your computer gets better soon xxx
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
We had a water fight and the power went down Now its showing an error message 'a nongenuine AC adapter has been detected' and then it jut shuts down.
Is the water fight in some way relevant here? Did the power go down because of the water fight? Just trying to rule out water damage, and weird stuff like water causing power to go out, causing some issues with the laptop while plugged in.

When does this error message show up? All the time? Only while plugged in?

Are you using a genuine AC adapter? What about the batteries? Are both the original ones that came with the laptop?

Assuming it's failing to boot, this could be BIOS level corruption, which probably won't be a fun fix.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Is the water fight in some way relevant here? Did the power go down because of the water fight? Just trying to rule out water damage, and weird stuff like water causing power to go out, causing some issues with the laptop while plugged in.

When does this error message show up? All the time? Only while plugged in?

Are you using a genuine AC adapter? What about the batteries? Are both the original ones that came with the laptop?

Assuming it's failing to boot, this could be BIOS level corruption, which probably won't be a fun fix.
the power went out because of water but that was in a different socket it's not a laptop but a compact pc with a laptop cable
MeyPingas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may have shorted it and damaged the power pack.

Try unplugging the AC adapter from the wall outlet and pc for 15 secs. Could also try another socket.
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
the power went out because of water but that was in a different socket it's not a laptop but a compact pc with a laptop cable
I'm going to interpret this something along the lines of "water in socket, flipped breakers or whatever, power out in house"

Checking for a genuine power adapter is typically handled at the BIOS level rather than the OS level. So I can think of two possible issues:
  • The external power brick got damaged in some way, and is no longer correctly reporting to the PC that it's a genuine power adapter
  • The BIOS (or wherever the check logic resides) is corrupt, so it's not doing that check properly

Problem is, I can't think of a reasonable way to test either one. You'd need a known good (read: genuine and working) AC adapter to test with, and given it's a compact PC I doubt you just happen to have another one lying around. And I wouldn't recommend buying on to test, since it could be an onboard problem rather than an issue with the adapter.

Really, you need to go talk to Dell about this. See if a Dell technician can help troubleshoot, see if there's warranty you can fall back on, etc. I suppose if you've not already, try plugging it into a different socket (ideally on a different circuit in your house). It's possible both the device and the adapter are fine, but the quality of power coming in is not and that's tripping the protection instead. I've seen that happen once, typically it's one of the other components that's gone bad, so I don't have much confidence in that explanation but it's worth a shot.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
I'm going to interpret this something along the lines of "water in socket, flipped breakers or whatever, power out in house"

Checking for a genuine power adapter is typically handled at the BIOS level rather than the OS level. So I can think of two possible issues:
  • The external power brick got damaged in some way, and is no longer correctly reporting to the PC that it's a genuine power adapter
  • The BIOS (or wherever the check logic resides) is corrupt, so it's not doing that check properly

Problem is, I can't think of a reasonable way to test either one. You'd need a known good (read: genuine and working) AC adapter to test with, and given it's a compact PC I doubt you just happen to have another one lying around. And I wouldn't recommend buying on to test, since it could be an onboard problem rather than an issue with the adapter.

Really, you need to go talk to Dell about this. See if a Dell technician can help troubleshoot, see if there's warranty you can fall back on, etc. I suppose if you've not already, try plugging it into a different socket (ideally on a different circuit in your house). It's possible both the device and the adapter are fine, but the quality of power coming in is not and that's tripping the protection instead. I've seen that happen once, typically it's one of the other components that's gone bad, so I don't have much confidence in that explanation but it's worth a shot.
Okay thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads