Trigger warning - Self Harming Scars

Watch
Leesha31
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I’m soon getting married and I have one issue bothering me. I have really struggled with my mental health in the past.

Trigger warning - mention of previous self harm
Spoiler:
Show
I have some very deep scars on my thighs, the skin has grown very thick over. I’m not ashamed about this, as I have had my own journey. But this isn’t something I want to share with my fiance, as it’s something in the past.

Does anyone know what may help in regards to this please

Thank you so much xx
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Leesha31)
Hi guys, I’m soon getting married and I have one issue bothering me. I have really struggled with my mental health in the past.

I have some very deep scars on my thighs, the skin has grown very thick over. I’m not ashamed about this, as I have had my own journey. But this isn’t something I want to share with my fiance, as it’s something in the past.

Thank you so much xx
1. Plastic surgery to remove scars or
2. Your fiance should respect your decision to not revisit past memories.
iwriteletters
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you so much xx
If your partner notices, then you could tell them that it's something in your past that you aren't ready to talk about/want them to know, as it's still painful for you. They should respect that you want it to stay private, you don't owe them that explanation. I hope you're okay xx
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Laser therapy or surgery can help but it is not something that will get rid of them, unfortunately. If he has gotten to know you and to like you for who you are, he will hopefully be able to respect your choice not to bring up the past. I have quite obvious scars and no one has ever pried into why they happened (I have actually only ever had really supportive comments, or people treating me more kindly after seeing them).
Leesha31
Rep:
?
(Original post by iwriteletters)
If your partner notices, then you could tell them that it's something in your past that you aren't ready to talk about/want them to know, as it's still painful for you. They should respect that you want it to stay private, you don't owe them that explanation. I hope you're okay xx
Thanks a lot for replying. I’m certain he would respect my choices on what I speak about. It’s just I rather he didn’t know as I don’t really like anyone knowing about my past issues. But thank you for replying x
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You plan to marry the guy but not tell him about your self-harm scars? If you can't trust him with that, I'm not sure you should be getting married.
Leesha31
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
You plan to marry the guy but not tell him about your self-harm scars? If you can't trust him with that, I'm not sure you should be getting married.
It’s nothing to do with trust. I just don’t want to open up about my past. I know he would be very respectful if He knew. But I would just rather he didn’t know the same way my parents or siblings do not either. Thank you for your input but I am just asking about how I could cover them, not whether I should be getting married or not
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s nothing to do with trust. I just don’t want to open up about my past. I know he would be very respectful if He knew. But I would just rather he didn’t know the same way my parents or siblings do not either. Thank you for your input but I am just asking about how I could cover them, not whether I should be getting married or not
You should just tell him then. There are no options that will perfectly cover them, so you don't really have a choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed