HK4ZM1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Heyy, does anyone remember if economics was available through Clearing at Uni of Manchester or Uni of Leeds last yr??
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even if it was, it wouldnt tell you if it would be again this year.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HK4ZM1)
Heyy, does anyone remember if economics was available through Clearing at Uni of Manchester or Uni of Leeds last yr??
(I’ve tweaked your thread title to see if it attracts more responses.)

This year will be another unusual one for results, so previous Clearing places are not likely to be a reliable indicator. The most honest answer we can give is that yes, Economics might be available at either, but no guarantees.
HK4ZM1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Even if it was, it wouldnt tell you if it would be again this year.
Yeah very true, just wanted to see if it was last yr cause this yr and last yrs results were/are very weird due to being affected by COVID.
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HK4ZM1)
My personal opinion would be that there may be far less clearing spaces this summer at top 20 unis than in any previous year. Unis have known that grades will be given by teachers so will suffer from heavy grade inflation and as a result they have given out far less offers than normal. There's been evidence on this in the news recently with unis giving out much less offers for competitive courses because they know most will meet these grades so they can't end up with hundreds more students than their courses are designed for. This will be more the case for the better unis than the less good ones.

Whilst Manchester and Leeds aren't really tier 1 or 2 unis for economics, they are still pretty decent and are very popular universities so I'd honestly be surprised if there were clearing places. However, there's a possibility there may be places at these unis for related subjects to straight Econ. Manchester often has clearing spaces for their BSc Economics, business and finance course for example.

Note that this is just my opinion and nobody really knows the answer. It's just I've seen lots of stories of Russell Group unis giving less offers and this would indicate clearing spaces are even less likely. Remember that last year unis didn't know teacher grades would be eventually used when they gave offers so last year's clearing history is really of no use in predicting this year.
Last edited by BenRyan99; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
15.87%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (60)
31.75%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.47%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (10)
5.29%
I think it's an unfair expectation (49)
25.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.59%

Watched Threads