The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2023 Entry Thread

Watch
baNaanaaBread
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know it is REALLY far in advance, but I wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

the University of Cambridge in 2022 for entry in 2023!

Even though we have only just finished our GCSEs it never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

(Thank you to Xaodo whose 2022 thread I have partially lifted this from)

Don't worry if you haven't done a lot, this is well in advance!

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps even a little too far in advance
baNaanaaBread
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Yeah probably tbh, I was just thinking there might be more people applying this year for deferred entry in 2023!!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems about average to create the thread in the GCSE summer before/early year 12. The one for 2019 entry was created when we were just going into year 11!
Ahaah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I’m taking computer science, physics and further maths as my a levels in sixth form.
I’m looking for something to do with computer science in uni.
My gcse grades are as following :
Language : 7
Literature : 6
Maths : 8
Science : 9/9
I’m not sure about the which college I want to apply to yet but would love to hear all of your answers to the questions. 😀
Last edited by Ahaah; 1 month ago
Christ's Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's never too early to start thinking about it! Just wanted to flag a couple of our regular webinars that this group might be interested in checking out - including one on Subject Matters (Post-16 subject choices) and our Cambridge for Beginners which is now open to those in Year 11 (or Year 12 Northern Ireland, S4 Scotland). All upcoming dates & booking form over at https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-d...cants/webinars
TheFlash_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by baNaanaaBread)
I know it is REALLY far in advance, but I wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

Even though we have only just finished our GCSEs it never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

1) Physics, Maths and Economics
2)Either Economics, Computer Science or Land Economy
3) My school hasn't told us grades for anything since September
4) I find the topics covered in to courses more compelling.
5) I mainly did Revision
6) Maybe be a financial analyst, software engineer or investment bankeer
7) I'm thinking Christ or Downing
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheFlash_)
1) Physics, Maths and Economics
2)Either Economics, Computer Science or Land Economy
3) My school hasn't told us grades for anything since September
4) I find the topics covered in to courses more compelling.
5) I mainly did Revision
6) Maybe be a financial analyst, software engineer or investment bankeer
7) I'm thinking Christ or Downing
Would strongly recommend taking Further Maths if you're thinking compsci or economics, v mathematical courses
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're applying for next year, you might want to check out the following:

Oxford Mum will presumably know of some more useful tools for prospectives

Best of luck with your applications
Last edited by Theloniouss; 1 month ago
TheFlash_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Paralove)
Would strongly recommend taking Further Maths if you're thinking compsci or economics, v mathematical courses
Yeah that's the problem my school doesn't offer it . There is another school that I applied for and I have a conditional offer but its really far and I don't have a lot of money. I'm hoping I'll be able to get the principal scholarship there or a travel bursary to cover costs but if I don't get one I'll have to stay at my current school.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheFlash_)
Yeah that's the problem my school doesn't offer it . There is another school that I applied for and I have a conditional offer but its really far and I don't have a lot of money. I'm hoping I'll be able to get the principal scholarship there or a travel bursary to cover costs but if I don't get one I'll have to stay at my current school.
Look into AMSP.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're applying for next year, you might want to check out the following:

Oxford Mum will presumably know of some more useful tools for prospectives

Best of luck with your applications
If I can think of anything to add, I will, but you're doing fine as you are! Thanks for the shout out to Zero Gravity, they really are awesome!
Ice.Log
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

1) Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography
2) Engineering. I love the generalization of the first two years as I'm not really sure which field I want to specialize in.
3) 4A*s, 3As and 2Bs (not the best, but I might exceed 1 or 2).
4) Cambridge seems more inclusive and welcoming and my GCSEs aren't as strong in other non-STEM subjects. Also, Oxford doesn't have a Dyson Centre for Engineering (my first insight I into Oxbridge was from a Fitzwilliam taster session).
5) The ENGAA. I'll probably start preparing for them months in advance with light revision.
6) Lots of research about the course and the supercurricular activities available for Year 11/12. As for my studies, I made things worse by losing motivation, but the experience shed light onto the reality of A-levels - I can't get away with night-before revision. I'm also learning how to improve my study technique and time management to balance 4 A-Levels and an EPQ so I can make up for my poor GCSEs.
7) Join ORI and start my own company.
8) Either Fitzwilliam or Girton - leaning towards Fitz atm.
Last edited by Ice.Log; 1 month ago
young_gooner2234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
[QUOTE=baNaanaaBread;95357478]I know it is REALLY far in advance, but I wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

Peterhouse
Last edited by young_gooner2234; 4 weeks ago
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by young_gooner2234)
Peterhouse
You called?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ice.Log)
1) Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography
2) Engineering. I love the generalization of the first two years as I'm not really sure which field I want to specialize in.
3) 4A*s, 3As and 2Bs (not the best, but I might exceed 1 or 2).
4) Cambridge seems more inclusive and welcoming and my GCSEs aren't as strong in other non-STEM subjects. Also, Oxford doesn't have a Dyson Centre for Engineering (my first insight I into Oxbridge was from a Fitzwilliam taster session).
5) The ENGAA. I'll probably start preparing for them months in advance with light revision.
6) Lots of research about the course and the supercurricular activities available for Year 11/12. As for my studies, I made things worse by losing motivation, but the experience shed light onto the reality of A-levels - I can't get away with night-before revision. I'm also learning how to improve my study technique and time management to balance 4 A-Levels and an EPQ so I can make up for my poor GCSEs.
7) Join ORI and start my own company.
8) Either Fitzwilliam or Girton - leaning towards Fitz atm.
Hi there,

Here is the Cambridge Demystified Engineering chapter.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post90741052
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Crikey, already?
baNaanaaBread
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Crikey, already?
Hehe on behalf of all those applying for deferred entry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads