cowcompany
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wasn't sure where to post this question but I was considering to take a gap year to do the EDT year in industry, if anyone that has done this before what was your experience like and would you recommend this to an A level student?

Some unis offer a year in industry as part of their course so if I'm planning to go to a uni that does this is it necessary to take a gap year?

Also as some unis don't have the year in industry as part of their course is it possible to not go on deferred entry even though you applied as deferred entry?
Last edited by cowcompany; 1 month ago
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am on a placement year with edt currently
I am also mid way through my degree
Experience in engineering is key, you will get a lot out of a gap year now, but they are Incredibly competitive. If you can get one now, defer your uni place and go for it because there is no guarantee you'll get one later. It will also help you be more successful in your degree and know what you are working for.
Equally if you don't get one now, go for uni, take a summer placement in the summer of first year. (I think you can do this through edt as well) then take a placement year mid way through your degree.
Some unis do offer a placement year in your degree what they don't tell you is, that you still have to apply to places so there is no guarantee you will get it, and there is always an option to skip out on a placement go striaght into the next year. So there is no obligation if you don't want it. But I highly recommend you do!
Does this answer your question? Sign up to edt yini scheme and attend the panel discussions as well, they will be super helpful!
Niketathecow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
I am on a placement year with edt currently
I am also mid way through my degree
Experience in engineering is key, you will get a lot out of a gap year now, but they are Incredibly competitive. If you can get one now, defer your uni place and go for it because there is no guarantee you'll get one later. It will also help you be more successful in your degree and know what you are working for.
Equally if you don't get one now, go for uni, take a summer placement in the summer of first year. (I think you can do this through edt as well) then take a placement year mid way through your degree.
Some unis do offer a placement year in your degree what they don't tell you is, that you still have to apply to places so there is no guarantee you will get it, and there is always an option to skip out on a placement go striaght into the next year. So there is no obligation if you don't want it. But I highly recommend you do!
Does this answer your question? Sign up to edt yini scheme and attend the panel discussions as well, they will be super helpful!
Yep this 100% answers my question, thank you so much! I've wanted to do the EDT scheme eversince I heard about it. But would the experience still be relevant to my graduate employer eventhough it would've happened 4 years ago?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Niketathecow)
Yep this 100% answers my question, thank you so much! I've wanted to do the EDT scheme eversince I heard about it. But would the experience still be relevant to my graduate employer eventhough it would've happened 4 years ago?
You are thinking about this the wrong way, or you have fallen into the grave mistake of believing you can go and sit exams for 4 years without doing any other work experience and get a job as a graduate easily. If you were thinking you could just do a single work experience opportunity (now or later) and then have a good shot at a graduate job, you need to begin managing your expectations and realise you will have to be actively seeking out work experience opportunities throughout your degree.

The gap year experience probably won't be relevant by the time you graduate; however it quite likely would be relevant when applying for internships, vacation schemes, and other work experience during your degree, even as early as the summer after first year. This will then allow you to continue pursuing more relevant work experience later, and the cumulative effect of this is that you will have when you graduate a good amount of work experience behind you that you can use to discuss your suitability for a given role in interview and to convey this through your CV and covering letter.
Niketathecow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You are thinking about this the wrong way, or you have fallen into the grave mistake of believing you can go and sit exams for 4 years without doing any other work experience and get a job as a graduate easily. If you were thinking you could just do a single work experience opportunity (now or later) and then have a good shot at a graduate job, you need to begin managing your expectations and realise you will have to be actively seeking out work experience opportunities throughout your degree.

The gap year experience probably won't be relevant by the time you graduate; however it quite likely would be relevant when applying for internships, vacation schemes, and other work experience during your degree, even as early as the summer after first year. This will then allow you to continue pursuing more relevant work experience later, and the cumulative effect of this is that you will have when you graduate a good amount of work experience behind you that you can use to discuss your suitability for a given role in interview and to convey this through your CV and covering letter.
Thank you for your reply, this has helped a lot
Roasted Potato
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Niketathecow)
Yes it would still be relevant because it shows you know how to act in a professional work place, how projects work etc. Not just hard skills but plenty of transferable soft skills which stay valid!
I would also say plenty of people don't get placement and it may not be easy to get a grad scheme and you might not get the one you want but it's not impossible! Also if the company you did your gap year with acc likes you then they would likely offer you a summer placement. It's very beneficial for them to rehire someone who knows the company has experience and networked at the company before!
Also your experience in stuff like matlab or solid works or catia will greatly help you at uni as well!
Even if you decide against a gap year I would highly recommend a summer placement any way, and a placement year whilst in university to help bulk out your cv with relevant experience!
I hope this helps! Any more questions I would be happy to help!
Last edited by Roasted Potato; 1 month ago
Niketathecow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
Yes it would still be relevant because it shows you know how to act in a professional work place, how projects work etc. Not just hard skills but plenty of transferable soft skills which stay valid!
I would also say plenty of people don't get placement and it may not be easy to get a grad scheme and you might not get the one you want but it's not impossible! Also if the company you did your gap year with acc likes you then they would likely offer you a summer placement. It's very beneficial for them to rehire someone who knows the company has experience and networked at the company before!
Also your experience in stuff like matlab or solid works or catia will greatly help you at uni as well!
Even if you decide against a gap year I would highly recommend a summer placement any way, and a placement year whilst in university to help bulk out your cv with relevant experience!
I hope this helps! Any more questions I would be happy to help!
Thank you so much for your advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
27.03%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.46%
No I am happy with my choice (84)
56.76%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
6.76%

Watched Threads