Swansea MSc Computer Science Converion

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys. I will go to SU to do a conversion course on computer science and I need some info about the course.
1) How is the course structure
2) How much do you learn as it is just one year so you can get a job afterward
3) How many days a week you are in roughly
Thanks
Huhh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I just made this account because someone else seems to be interested in the same course as me!
I will be enrolling and moving in to the Bay Campus this September to do this, I'm hoping you are too?

1) Course structure is in the program specification linked here:
https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/PAM/Prog...F21&lang=en-GB
It shows the assessment method, lecture hours, modules from x to y months, contents covered and reading materials.

2) From what I can gather you will just be studying a bunch of theory using Java as a programming language to apply it. There are also optional modules, which you will have to pick 2, that covers other things in relation to Computer Science but vary in difficulty and what the student would like to focus on specifically.
I don't know about postgraduate employment, however just like any university they have a student help department where they can assist pupils in what I'm guessing stuff like CV's to get a job. It boasts about graduate prospects, satisfaction, etc but I wouldn't depend on those for actual job employment.
I'm going in the with the simple mindset of it probably being an overwhelmingly compressed course due to it being only one year. So it's either gonna be really tough or simple depending on how the lectures are handled during Covid and the compression. And whatever you produce out of your course over the year is what you will have as portfolio for employment.

3) I wouldn't know but you can look at the course specification on how many hours and lectures each module has to get a general idea. I'll be living in the Bay Campus so I don't really care how many days I'd have to be physically in the lecture or (hopefully not by then) zoom meetings. I'm going to guess Semester A (Sept-Dec) will be multiple times a week since it will cover theory and introduction to programming which will be important to progress and let the students do more independent things in Semester B when they pick their modules or do their final year project by the end of it.

I'd like to know more about what the course covers in depth from the previous students themselves and the job prospects but I don't see much of anything online and I cant physically visit or talk to people there which puts me off a bit but at the same time I'm too busy being anxious on whether I can adapt well to the course in September because I'm an idiot and don't know anything regarding CS!
Anonymous #1
Hi,
Holy **** you wrote a lot so thanks for this. Quite a few good information that I didn't know about. Yeah, I will be enrolling as well, just need to get my final grade from my uni so I can have an unconditional offer. I will be staying at Oldway Center as is cheaper than Bay Campus and I think it looks better tbh .

I have tried to look online about this course or similar ones but couldn't find anything myself either. It is frustrating not talking with someone who previously done this course as it would be helpful to have some tips, but sure we can manage.

I am sure that you are not an idiot and you'll be just fine. I don't really know CS either, I just know a bit of web development and I will do some Java course over the summer (hopefully).

Nice to see someone actually replyed
PandaCris
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Forgot to post non anonymous
Huhh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey again, I'm just glad there's someone else doing the same course as me at September!

I managed to find an old 2017/2018 specification document that has timetables and similar module descriptions as the current one:
http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csetzer/ad...e2017vers2.pdf

I have absolutely 0 background or experience in cs so it will be completely new to me, unfortunately I work full time and have only 3 hours for dinner, shower and to relax before going to sleep for the next day so I cant really spare much time to pick up studies. Regardless, I'm hopeful I'll be able to digest things as a student than under the stress of full time employment and communes. It's also why I decided to choose to live in the Bay Area, just the convenience.
paulie7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh cool! I'm not the only person on this course! Already knew Python and some microcontroller stuff to a pretty good level, Java seems like only a little bit of a step up. Bummer that we can only choose two optional modules but I suppose that's the price of cramming 3 years of CS into one year.

Also living in Bay Campus too, since the daily 40 minute pilgrimage from the student neighbourhood didn't seem appealing to me.
Last edited by paulie7; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Hiya. Welcome to the CS gang 😂😂. So far we are three of us and you the only one with cs knowledge

I’m still trying to decide which 2 optional modules should I choose as I think I’d like a job such as software developer/engineer but not sure which two are good
PandaCris
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Forgot not to use anonymously… . I’m an idiot sometimes
Huhh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paulie7)
Oh cool! I'm not the only person on this course! Already knew Python and some microcontroller stuff to a pretty good level, Java seems like only a little bit of a step up. Bummer that we can only choose two optional modules but I suppose that's the price of cramming 3 years of CS into one year.

Also living in Bay Campus too, since the daily 40 minute pilgrimage from the student neighbourhood didn't seem appealing to me.
Add me: JustSomeGuyOk#3854
I'm hopeful we find more people in a similar case. I don't use this forum but I'm always available on discord if anyone else turns up and is interested.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (19)
16.96%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (33)
29.46%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.61%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.46%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.79%

Watched Threads