My mum doesn’t have a driving license and never had one

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My mum doesn’t drive a car and never has. This makes me feel so ashamed since she even doesn’t know English and my dad has to do everything and it’s so embarrasing telling everyone. If my dad dies were basically stuck because she doesn’t know how to do anything. What do you guys think?
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why doesn’t she speak English?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you in England and how long have your family been here?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RedGiant)
Why doesn’t she speak English?
Because she never learnt even though she’s lived in England for a long time and she embarrassed me because of it and makes me feel like I don’t belong here. Is it normal for 50 year olds not to drive?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
Are you in England and how long have your family been here?
Yes I’m in England and my mums lived here for like 20 years. Also all her sisters who live here speak English and drive and everything except her. She has to rely on my dad for everything even making appointments. And my dad is old and sick.
BoilingMarmalade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's OK, my mum has never driven either. Instead of being ashamed of your mum, maybe help her to learn English. It will make life a lot easier for her (and maybe the rest of your family too) if she can communicate with people outside the home.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes I’m in England and my mums lived here for like 20 years. Also all her sisters who live here speak English and drive and everything except her. She has to rely on my dad for everything even making appointments. And my dad is old and sick.
How the hell's she been here for two decades without even learning basic English?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BoilingMarmalade)
That's OK, my mum has never driven either. Instead of being ashamed of your mum, maybe help her to learn English. It will make life a lot easier for her (and maybe the rest of your family too) if she can communicate with people outside the home.
How the hell's she been here for two decades without even learning basic English?
She makes my dad do everything for her that’s why. My dad is the breadwinner
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She makes my dad do everything for her that’s why. My dad is the breadwinner
On the one hand I feel a bit sorry for her because I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to be in a foreign country for 20 years without understanding anything anyone who wasn't the same ethnicity and nationality as me was saying, but on the other, I'm sure there's been opportunities to learn, I mean your dad did it, so why didn't she?
Anonymous #1
On the one hand I feel a bit sorry for her because I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to be in a foreign country for 20 years without understanding anything anyone who wasn't the same ethnicity and nationality as me was saying, but on the other, I'm sure there's been opportunities to learn, I mean your dad did it, so why didn't she?
That’s what I think as well. She had lots of opportunity to make something for her life but didn’t do anything with it and the kids are paying for it because if my dad dies we have nothing anymore. My mum said she dropped out of uni in her home country because she just wanted to get married and for her husband to just provide for her for the rest of her life. And now she complains about her hardships in life when it’s her fault anyways
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She clearly gets by just fine without a car if she has been able to get to her 50s without one.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My mum doesn’t drive a car and never has. This makes me feel so ashamed since she even doesn’t know English and my dad has to do everything and it’s so embarrasing telling everyone. If my dad dies were basically stuck because she doesn’t know how to do anything. What do you guys think?
*licence
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
*licence
It’s not that deep 🤦🏽*♀️
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
She clearly gets by just fine without a car if she has been able to get to her 50s without one.
But it’s still weird
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But it’s still weird
Not really. Plenty of people can't or chose not to drive for whatever reason, especially in older age groups.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Not really. Plenty of people can't or chose not to drive for whatever reason, especially in older age groups.
Maybe I guess
Omannnae
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well not having a driving license is not embarrassing, a lot of people don't have one

Her not speaking English is though but then if it embarrasses you so much perhaps you should teach your mum how to speak English. Thats what I would do.
Let's Go Champ!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could learn when you are 17 op
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (19)
16.67%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (35)
30.7%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.53%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.4%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.39%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
24.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise