The Student Room Group

driving lessons in final year of uni

how difficult/stressful is it having driving lessons in the final year of uni? i know its only 1 hour a week, but in my final year (coming up in sept) im also planning to apply for grad jobs, and will be particularly focusing on studies since its my final year (aiming for a 1st). im worried i wont have enough time to have driving lessons each week, and be too stressed to focus...

has anyone done this? was it easy to keep up with everything?

my current options:

-take as many lessons between now (summer break) and the start of uni. if uni becomes v stressful, take a break from driving (idk if this break is good/bad idea)

-just leave driving till after i graduate

advice/thoughts pleaaaase . thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
I would probably suggest you start working on your dissertation before March to start with...

In any case, 1 hour a week of non-academic stuff, even if you add an extra hour or so to look at theory materials, shouldn't be unreasonable to balance with your academic work.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I would probably suggest you start working on your dissertation before March to start with...

In any case, 1 hour a week of non-academic stuff, even if you add an extra hour or so to look at theory materials, shouldn't be unreasonable to balance with your academic work.

aah sorry just edited my post, but i get what youre saying. yeah i guess im getting worked up about it since itll be another thing to think about on top of grad jobs and studying...

thanks for the advice though :smile:
Reply 3

did you take lessons during uni, or even final year? what was your experience?
Original post by zaynaalii
did you take lessons during uni, or even final year? what was your experience?

No, unless you count driving my mum's partner's car around an empty field during a few afternoons one summer as "driving lessons" :tongue:

But simply in terms of time commitment 1 hour a week is not a lot. It's not like you are going to have to be working on academic work 16 hours a day 7 days a week even in final year.

I'd suggest it's probably better to do it now/in final year than after you graduate. You have a much more flexible schedule at uni to fit in lessons around lectures compared to after graduating, where you will be (hopefully) working and will have much less time and energy for that stuff when you'll probably be limited to weekends (where you'll also have to do all your personal admin/chores/shopping etc, and will be your main period of downtime, and depending on your job you might need to do work then anyway...).
Reply 5
No, unless you count driving my mum's partner's car around an empty field during a few afternoons one summer as "driving lessons" :tongue:

But simply in terms of time commitment 1 hour a week is not a lot. It's not like you are going to have to be working on academic work 16 hours a day 7 days a week even in final year.

I'd suggest it's probably better to do it now/in final year than after you graduate. You have a much more flexible schedule at uni to fit in lessons around lectures compared to after graduating, where you will be (hopefully) working and will have much less time and energy for that stuff when you'll probably be limited to weekends (where you'll also have to do all your personal admin/chores/shopping etc, and will be your main period of downtime, and depending on your job you might need to do work then anyway...).

thats so true. i didnt really think of it like that. and driving instructors in my area aren't as available on weekends/evenings, so it probably would be harder after i graduate. guess im going ahead with lessons!

thanks for your advice! :smile:
Reply 6
I started driving lessons in September of my final year of uni passed my theory before my first lesson. As I was away at uni I didn't have access to a family car for extra practise. I didn't find it that hard to schedule driving lessons around my uni lessons usually booked them like a week in advance. Took around 45 hours of lessons in total and passed second time. All in all I'd say concentrate on uni and finding a grad job but some jobs need you to be able to drive so don't neglect booking lessons as well.
Reply 7
Original post by ICEng99
I started driving lessons in September of my final year of uni passed my theory before my first lesson. As I was away at uni I didn't have access to a family car for extra practise. I didn't find it that hard to schedule driving lessons around my uni lessons usually booked them like a week in advance. Took around 45 hours of lessons in total and passed second time. All in all I'd say concentrate on uni and finding a grad job but some jobs need you to be able to drive so don't neglect booking lessons as well.

were you applying to grad jobs at the same time? did u ever find it stressful juggling driving with everything else?
Reply 8
Original post by zaynaalii
were you applying to grad jobs at the same time? did u ever find it stressful juggling driving with everything else?

Yes I started applying to grad jobs late August so had a lot of online assessments/ interviews etc going on while getting on with my degree and learning to drive. It is doable just need to be able to arrange your time well and compartmentalise a little so you're not worrying over a company you've not heard back from when you should be thinking about mirror signal manoeuvre aha

Quick Reply