The Student Room Group

can i do a degree in computer science with only computer science AS level

is this possible?
Reply 1
Yes you can, the only requirements that you need are A-level maths. Computer science isn't a requirement and people do get in without it. In 1st year they will go over some of the aspects that would be in A-level computer science, so I would get a bit of programming experience before you go, just to familiarise yourself if you haven't programmed before. It would be better if you had full A-level to demonstrate your passion for the subject, but you can get in without it.
Yes ofc, my friend has an offer from Cambridge. She took a level further maths, maths, chem and physics with as computer science
Reply 3
Original post by Alishalol
Yes ofc, my friend has an offer from Cambridge. She took a level further maths, maths, chem and physics with as computer science

Well I guess that answers your question! You definitely don't need full A-level computer science, as long as you portray your passion for the subject in your personal statement then I think it is worth applying. Do you have A-level further maths if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by nelly7
Yes you can, the only requirements that you need are A-level maths. Computer science isn't a requirement and people do get in without it. In 1st year they will go over some of the aspects that would be in A-level computer science, so I would get a bit of programming experience before you go, just to familiarise yourself if you haven't programmed before. It would be better if you had full A-level to demonstrate your passion for the subject, but you can get in without it.

If I dont have maths then is it not possible? Im considering dropping computer science bc im self-studying but i can still do the A-level if its must
Reply 5
Original post by nelly7
Well I guess that answers your question! You definitely don't need full A-level computer science, as long as you portray your passion for the subject in your personal statement then I think it is worth applying. Do you have A-level further maths if you don't mind me asking?

no i dont have maths. i decided on IT recently and i can still do the full computer science a-level if i want
Reply 6
Original post by nelly7

Ah okay cool. i dont have maths so i guess i will have to take the full A-level
Reply 7
Original post by meymey:)
Ah okay cool. i dont have maths so i guess i will have to take the full A-level

I depends what university you are looking to go to. The higher universities tend to require maths, but the lower universities on the rankings list don't need maths. Have a look at this website: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science

Quick Reply

Latest