What is a level chemistry actually like?

Watch
_Robyn_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it actually a lot of workload? How different is it to gcses? Will i struggle with it if my gcse predicted grade is high 6/low 7?
vhs2003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
Is it actually a lot of workload? How different is it to gcses? Will i struggle with it if my gcse predicted grade is high 6/low 7?
Hi,
I am a year 12 student and I remember being in the exact same position as you last year. Overall, after doing A level chem, bio, maths and further maths ... I would say chemistry is the easiest. Chemistry in yr 12 is a lot different to GCSE but to be honest ever A level is different to its GCSE as GCSE knowledge is sometimes true but half of it isn't true ... this is done to make it easier at GCSE. For example, in GCSE, electronic configuration is 2,8,8 etc but in A - level you learn about shells as wells as sub shells ( don't worry too much about this ... it is easy to understand). When it cones to workload, it must be understood that gcse workload is nothing compared to A level workload. A level requires independent study and working 4 to 5 hours a day after school but tbh I only do 2 or 3 ( I am not the best here but I do a lot of work at school). Also, I had to do chem cause I want to do medicine but I still enjoy chem as well. Make sure you choose subjects you enjoy then the workload will be enjoyable to some extent and not a burden. Also, your gcse chem grade ... I was in the year where gcses got cancelled and had to get grades from teachers. My school was very strict in giving grades but some schools were too lenient so I feel there is unfairness hence why exams are the best. I got 11 grade 9s and I worked hard throughout - I was the school nerd. I feel that your interest as well as your gcse success in that subject both are important. So, if you really are a grade 6/7, I would say you may find it difficult and in many schools the min is 7 to do A level chem ... do check though. However, if you strongly feel that A - level chem is for you and/or yours grades are unfair then go for chem. Any more questions, feel free to ask
username5508856
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hated it. Organic chemistry is the worst.
zBreadboy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
I loved gcse chemistry and got a 9. I hate alevel chemistry dropping it for year 13. Easily the worst subject I have ever done. If you do decide to take it just make sure to stay on top of the work and make sure you understand everything or you will start to fall behind quickly.
sushieater37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exam questions were the only thing that saved me LOOL I went from a 9 to a U, D and C at a level

It’s quite challenging but as long as you keep refreshing yourself with the content and CONTINUOUSLY do exam papers to gain familiarity with the mark scheme then you’re sorted
I eventually came out with a B in a level chem thank God 👍🏼 (physics and maths tutor chemistry questions was 100% the reason for me eventually doing well... don’t make notes for chemistry that was my biggest mistake. Fully learn and understand what’s going on and use past papers as your means for revision! Definitely use that website if you end up taking chemistry)
Last edited by sushieater37; 1 month ago
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I enjoyed chemistry and didn’t find it as difficult as most people do, but you do need to have a good mathematical foundation and be able to apply your skills in chemical calculations - I think that’s one of the things people struggle on the most.

Organic chemistry (NMR) is more difficult, but again, with lots of practice, it becomes easier.

As for your current grades and whether you’ll do well, it might be best to speak to your teachers. They’ve seen many students go through the same thing throughout the years, so they’re probably the best people to give you an idea of where you currently stand with regards to A Level chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.94%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
4.76%

Watched Threads