Elliot5647
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys I start uni in about 3 months and want to be driving before going to uni is it possible to learn to drive and do your theory in this amount of time I’ve bought and insurance my own car to learn in and got my theory booked for next week. If it’s possible any tips?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Possible in terms of learning but pretty unlikely for a test I suspect, i'm seeing figures of 17 weeks being bandied about for booking a test this summer. I assume that will be subject to change/depends on location etc, but it doesn't look good.

Obv they'll be a lot of pressure to pass the theory first time also and pass rates are below 50%.
Elliot5647
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks
TheDE
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The waiting list for taking tests has increased from 420,000 to 470,000 (due to people taking the test when not ready & panic booking)

Current wait time 24 weeks
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think this time is tight to learn, even if time and money is no object. 6-9months would be typical. Apply for the test, given the waiting list, and see how it goes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. The theory is easy, just download the theory test app and bang it out for 5 hours a day for 2 days before your test. I passed the other day 1st time and i only started practice a day before lmao.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheDE)
The waiting list for taking tests has increased from 420,000 to 470,000 (due to people taking the test when not ready & panic booking)

Current wait time 24 weeks
24? yeesh, I was all ready for you to tell me my 17 was OTT....

(Original post by 982761834)
Yes. The theory is easy, just download the theory test app and bang it out for 5 hours a day for 2 days before your test. I passed the other day 1st time and i only started practice a day before lmao.
Easy if you know how, or are lucky. As I said, official pass rates are just less than 50%, and 1st time passes even less so. A lot comes down to luck of questions on the day. I failed my 1st by 1 mark largely because I got like 4 near identical questions about caravans - which i'd admittedly only skimmed, but the ignorance def cost me.
ICEng99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
RE: booking a test. I failed my first driving test in May and on the website the earliest available test was in November. I bought an app called Testi for £10 that scans and notifies you of cancellations. It's a bit hit and miss as sometimes the tests are already gone by the time you react but it worked for me in the end. Managed to get my second test just 3 weeks later and passed luckily!
TheDE
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ICEng99)
RE: booking a test. I failed my first driving test in May and on the website the earliest available test was in November. I bought an app called Testi for £10 that scans and notifies you of cancellations. It's a bit hit and miss as sometimes the tests are already gone by the time you react but it worked for me in the end. Managed to get my second test just 3 weeks later and passed luckily!
The agency is currently working overtime to prevent this app from booking as it is disrupting bookings for people that have been waiting since last year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (23)
57.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.5%

Watched Threads