Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
is it worth bringing my car? how much does parking cost and how does it all work
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I wanted to bring mine but I looked on the website and there’s only certain accommodations that let you bring it
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The university posts guidance here for students: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/car-parking/permits/exeter/ which points out a) there is an eligibility requirement dependent on your Exeter postcode from where you are living, unless you fall into certain other categories (e.g. have caring responsibilities; I also imagine those with specific disabilities would be accommodated). If you live in the city I really doubt you will be granted a parking permit for on-campus parking. They discourage students from bringing cars and point out that parking in residential areas is also difficult even when you live there and that most student halls do not have allocated parking for long term residents.

Generally I wouldn't recommend it, plus it's not really necessary or useful since most of what you need is available in a fairly compact area around the campus and city centre (which are very close). Unless you foresee needing to go to the Vale Shopping Centre or Sowton Industrial Estate regularly (or live in those areas maybe), I can't really see it being worthwhile even if you can get a permit for on-campus parking, unless you have some condition that requires you drive to the campus or have caring responsibilities meaning you have to have access to a vehicle while on campus in case you need to go at short notice. You probably wouldn't be granted an on-campus parking permit otherwise anyway, and parking in the city is going to be difficult and/or expensive otherwise.
MatthewAteYou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As pretty much stated, unless you a) have a permit with a private house (not accommodations) or b) buy a space / permit off of someone, it's very hard to park. All the roads within walking distance are permit only.

I have/had my car during second and third year, and it is helpful for shopping and day trips but it's not really needed. The large majority of students don't have a car, and do just fine. If having a car is a big deal, make sure when looking for houses you get one with either a drive or guaranteed permit.
Last edited by MatthewAteYou; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
is it worth bringing my car? how much does parking cost and how does it all work
Not needed in your first year. Few bother as everywhere is on walking distance - bus service is good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (47)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (89)
11.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.35%
Lack of purpose or motivation (99)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.17%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (85)
11%
Financial worries (51)
6.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (34)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.31%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (60)
7.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed