How should I feel if my friends didn't wish me a happy birthday?

Watch
blooming.bubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
*I know it's a lot of text, but please read everything for you to understand the whole situation ty

hello guys, yesterday it was my birthday and some of my closest friends didn't wish me a happy birthday, I normally not care much about how many posts or messages I get (I'm not even that popular) but I do care about the people I love and have a lovely relationship with.

For quarantine, our gifts were digital and social Media stuff.
One of them is my best friend from high school, we usually wish each other a happy birthday every year at 12am! Followed by a super huge message and pictures of ourselves, last year I congratulated her as usual and even draw ourselves (art is kinda my thing) as a gift, I started days before and it took me over 8 hrs to finish, I sent it and she loved it, my birthday came and she congratulate me at 12am and everything (huge messages)

However this year I saved some extra money for her and I did the same, I messaged her (huge message as usual) , sent pictures, I even surprised her with another drawing that took me 4 hrs and later I sent her favorite food to her home, of course I paid everything. This year my birthday came and we even talked days before, everything was great! then I didn't get anything at 12am, I didn't leave it bother, maybe she fell asleep, but throughout the day no messages came, almost at midnight she sent me the most basic message ever, happy birthday, you're great, almost as she wrote it as soon as she could just to fulfill the commitment before 12am, and only said "I forgot haha" It hurted so bad it was only one small message, nothing compared to what she's told me other years, I felt very sad, I just thanked her and she didn't ever answer.

To the other guys, also very close (but not as much as her) last year and so, I congratulate them and said a few words of thanking, not only happy birthday, I even edited them a birthday cake pic with us(to each one of them on their birthdays) and in my birthday they didn't even bother, we were talking, everything was fine, Facebook notifies to all my friends, I posted stories and a few friends did too and they saw them (at least mine with my cake and all) they were active! they posted meme stuff but didn't even bother about me, it hurted a lot.

As I said, I don't usually care about how many messages I get, but I did took my time preparing them a good little gift and a reasonable big message with lots of good wishes and even put my effort on it, giving away stuff I could sell at $20 dlls (my paintings), and they who are so important to me, that every year wish me a happy birthday didn't care, I don't know how to feel or what to do, please help me clarify myself
Last edited by blooming.bubbles; 1 month ago
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blooming.bubbles)
*I know it's a lot of text, but please read everything for you to understand the whole situation ty

hello guys, yesterday it was my birthday and some of my closest friends didn't wish me a happy birthday, I normally not care much about how many posts or messages I get (I'm not even that popular) but I do care about the people I love and have a lovely relationship with.

One of them is my best friend from high school, we usually wish each other a happy birthday every year at 12am! Followed by a super huge message and pictures of ourselves, last year I congratulated her as usual and even draw ourselves (art is kinda my thing) as a gift, I started days before and it took me over 8 hrs to finish, I sent it and she loved it, my birthday came and she congratulate me at 12am and everything (huge messages)

However this year I saved some extra money for her and I did the same, I messaged her (huge message as usual) , sent pictures, I even surprised her with another drawing that took me 4 hrs and later I sent her favorite food to her home, of course I paid everything. This year my birthday came and we even talked days before, everything was great! then I didn't get anything at 12am, I didn't leave it bother, maybe she fell asleep, but throughout the day no messages came, almost at midnight she sent me the most basic message ever, happy birthday, you're great, almost as she wrote it as soon as she could just to fulfill the commitment before 12am, and only said "I forgot haha" It hurted so bad it was only one small message, nothing compared to what she's told me other years, I felt very sad, I just thanked her and she didn't ever answer.

To the other guys, also very close (but not as much as her) last year and so, I congratulate them and said a few words of thanking, not only happy birthday, I even edited them a birthday cake pic with us(to each one of them on their birthdays) and in my birthday they didn't even bother, we were talking, everything was fine, Facebook notifies to all my friends, I posted stories and a few friends did too and they saw them (at least mine with my cake and all) they were active! they posted meme stuff but didn't even bother about me, it hurted a lot.

As I said, I don't usually care about how many messages I get, but I did took my time preparing them a good little gift and a reasonable big message with lots of good wishes and even put my effort on it, giving away stuff I could sell at $20 dlls (my paintings), and they who are so important to me, that every year wish me a happy birthday didn't care, I don't know how to feel or what to do, please help me clarify myself
If this was the first time they missed your birthday then i think it would be fair to give them the allowance. Maybe speak to your closest friends, who forgot but don't confront them so it does not escalate. If they forget next year, then you can conclude.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try not to take it personally.
Covid & the practical impact of pandemic restrictions have been enormously disruptive; putting so many people under such intense pressure that their daily functionality, social lives, mental health and finances have taken a very sharp turn for the worse.
Hopefully next year things will be somewhat better! :crossedf:
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago

Idk what to say, but I hope things get better x
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago

so i feel like with the situation at the moment everyone is super busy and has a lot on their minds so maybe give a bit of allowance on that. however I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt, if this happened to me i would probably hurt a little bit but if you hold on to this and take it personally it ill probably damage the friendship even more in the long run.
its totally ok that you feel hurt
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's just how it be sometimes man, not everyone is hyper fixated on birthdays and the such - I don't wish my of my close friends happy birthdays, and they don't back to me. I don't think we even know our birthdays, but we're thick as thieves
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed