As.1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Please refer to the attachment.

Not too sure how to do these questions. Does anyone have an easy method to getting to the answer?
Attached files
Last edited by As.1997; 1 month ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Please refer to the attachment.

Not too sure how to do these questions. Does anyone have an easy method to getting to the answer?
A Venn diagram.

Note that your answer (D) is incorrect as there may be some people who like reading AND watching televisions, so you can't just add the two numbers to get 38, as you'd be counting them twice.
As.1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
A Venn diagram.

Note that your answer (D) is incorrect as there may be some people who like reading AND watching televisions, so you can't just add the two numbers to get 38, as you'd be counting them twice.
I was thinking of a Venn diagram but the issue is you don't know if there is any overlap between enjoying reading and watching TV.

I do agree with your explanation about D - (I just randomly guessed because I didn't know how to disprove the options)
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by As.1997)
I was thinking of a Venn diagram but the issue is you don't know if there is any overlap between enjoying reading and watching TV.

I do agree with your explanation about D - (I just randomly guessed because I didn't know how to disprove the options)
When you draw the diagram, you include the overlap, with the understanding that it may be empty.
As.1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
When you draw the diagram, you include the overlap, with the understanding that it may be empty.
I've drawn my Venn diagram as suggested.
Okay, I get it now.
A) The max and min of neither can be achieved by either complete overlap or no overlap hence you get 19 and 10.
B) This is wrong because you could have 29 who like reading and not watching TV i.e. if no overlap occurs.
C) This is just wrong 48-29 vs 48-9
D) We don't know if there is any overlap so we can't conclude this. Suppose if there was a complete overlap then there would be 29 who like neither as opposed to 38.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
28.95%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.89%
No I am happy with my choice (22)
57.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed