Repayments from abroad - Late declaration of income - liability for backpayments?

Watch
JakeBurgh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all - any help/experience from people who've been in a similar situation much appreciated:

I'm on Plan 1 repayments with Student Finance England, graduated in 2012. I was repaying my loan as usual through my employer 2012-2016 - deductions from my salary. All fine.

Then I moved abroad. First to work (2016-18), during which time I continued making repayments based on evidence provided from my employer as to my earnings. From 2018-20 I entered further education and therefore stopped making repayments.

I restarted work (still abroad) around 12 months ago and completely forgot to inform Student Finance.

I now, of course, need to update my details and provide evidence of my employment status.

My question is: am I liable to make backpayments for the 12 months in which I was working but not repaying, or will the new repayment schedule only start from now onwards when I provide evidence of my salary?

Given that you have to provide at least 3 months' pay slips to prove your new status when you move abroad, I was under the impression there might be some grace period whereby they don't mind if you miss a few repayments.

Additionally, I saw somebody saying instead of asking for repayments they would extend the period until which your loan gets written off (i.e. + 1 year ).

Has anybody been in a similar situation and can offer some advice? PM me if sensitive.

Thanks in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads