is Uni of Strathclyde Accelerated LLB (Scots and English law) good?

Watch
Cristiano22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello. I would like to know the opinion of those who have information about this course or even studied it. The course takes only two years but teaches the student both Scottish Law and English Law. How serious is it? How well prepared is the course syllabus to learn both rights in two years?
I want to qualify in Scotland as a solicitor and then in England. What are my chances of getting a job in England with such a degree from Strathclyde? I read about the opinion that it is better to study English law in England and even closer to London I know that the path to becoming a solicitor in England changes since September this year. The question is not about the technical procedure for becoming a solicitor in England. I would like to know your opinion that what are my chances of finding a job in England with a similar degree from Strathclyde?
In addition, similar courses are also taught in Dundee and Aberdeen. I know that Aburdin's rating is higher, but Aberdeen is far from me. From the point of view of the location, Strathclyde is the best option, but it is lower than Aberdeen and Dundee in the ranking of law schools. Is it worth choosing Aberdeen or Dundee because of the rating, or is it better to leave the choice on Glasgow?
Thanks everyone in advance.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
can't answer the scottish question but I did a graduate LLB this year in England. All it meant was I did fewer optional modules than the 3 year LLB people and also 0.5 more modules per year. Else its identical and we are taught alongside the 3 year LLB (sometimes in our own tutor groups)

So as a graduate already, it cost me less (as can't get loans for 2nd degrees)
UoA Enquiry Team
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cristiano22)
Hello. I would like to know the opinion of those who have information about this course or even studied it. The course takes only two years but teaches the student both Scottish Law and English Law. How serious is it? How well prepared is the course syllabus to learn both rights in two years?
I want to qualify in Scotland as a solicitor and then in England. What are my chances of getting a job in England with such a degree from Strathclyde? I read about the opinion that it is better to study English law in England and even closer to London I know that the path to becoming a solicitor in England changes since September this year. The question is not about the technical procedure for becoming a solicitor in England. I would like to know your opinion that what are my chances of finding a job in England with a similar degree from Strathclyde?
In addition, similar courses are also taught in Dundee and Aberdeen. I know that Aburdin's rating is higher, but Aberdeen is far from me. From the point of view of the location, Strathclyde is the best option, but it is lower than Aberdeen and Dundee in the ranking of law schools. Is it worth choosing Aberdeen or Dundee because of the rating, or is it better to leave the choice on Glasgow?
Hi Cristiano22!

In Scotland, there will soon be a new route to qualifying as a solicitor in England: the Solicitors' Qualifying Exam. The SQE will be introduced from September this year, and is a two-part exam testing candidates' legal knowledge and skills. I cannot speak for other universities, but at Aberdeen, we’ll be providing guidance and support to our LLB with English Law students on what the SQE will involve and the options for preparing for it.

If you’d like, you’re welcome to chat with Douglas from our School of Law. You can reach out to him via Unibuddy and can even arrange to have a call to talk through your options together.

Livi
Cristiano22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
can't answer the scottish question but I did a graduate LLB this year in England. All it meant was I did fewer optional modules than the 3 year LLB people and also 0.5 more modules per year. Else its identical and we are taught alongside the 3 year LLB (sometimes in our own tutor groups)

So as a graduate already, it cost me less (as can't get loans for 2nd degrees)
Thanks for the answer. Was the course too intensive? Do you think it is possible to work part-time during this course?
Cristiano22
Rep:
?
(Original post by UoA Enquiry Team)
Hi Cristiano22!

In Scotland, there will soon be a new route to qualifying as a solicitor in England: the Solicitors' Qualifying Exam. The SQE will be introduced from September this year, and is a two-part exam testing candidates' legal knowledge and skills. I cannot speak for other universities, but at Aberdeen, we’ll be providing guidance and support to our LLB with English Law students on what the SQE will involve and the options for preparing for it.

If you’d like, you’re welcome to chat with Douglas from our School of Law. You can reach out to him via Unibuddy and can even arrange to have a call to talk through your options together.

Livi
Hello. Thank you for your willingness to help. Yes, I have also considered the University of Aberdeen's accelerated LLB courses. But Aberdeen is a little distant for me. But I like this university. I called Aberdeen today but couldn't speak at all. Yesterday I also sent an e-mail to clarify whether there are free places in the group to apply (extra) for accelerated LLB Scottish law and English law.
I think that my previous diploma is slightly below the 2: 1 level and does not meet the requirements of Aberdeen, but I have about 15 years of experience as a lawyer in the country of civil law. Can the university accept me for this course? I would like to check my chances of enrolling in this course. Because I have already used 5 opportunities to apply through UCAS. I received offers but refused. Now I decided to use the extra opportunity to apply. Therefore, I try to clarify my chances of being accepted for the course and then apply through UCAS.
Strathclyde and Dundee's requirements are more suitable for me. But I would like to ask you to help me discuss this issue with a representative of the admission team or with someone else.
I am currently considering studying accelerated LLB at Aberdeen, Dundee, and Strathclyde.
By the way, I know everything about SQE, I just need help with the effectiveness of the course and my chances of being accepted into this course. After completing this course, I intend to qualify as a solicitor in Scotland and then England.
Thank you for your help.
Advertisement
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the answer. Was the course too intensive? Do you think it is possible to work part-time during this course?
i didn't find my particular course too intensive and i did work 1 day a week at my old position as an accountant.

But i also had to work weekends to study and i didn't have to spend time on the social side of Uni (as i was a mature student, living in home town) nor the applying for career stuff part that takes up lots of students time.
UoA Enquiry Team
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello. Thank you for your willingness to help. Yes, I have also considered the University of Aberdeen's accelerated LLB courses. But Aberdeen is a little distant for me. But I like this university. I called Aberdeen today but couldn't speak at all. Yesterday I also sent an e-mail to clarify whether there are free places in the group to apply (extra) for accelerated LLB Scottish law and English law.
I think that my previous diploma is slightly below the 2: 1 level and does not meet the requirements of Aberdeen, but I have about 15 years of experience as a lawyer in the country of civil law. Can the university accept me for this course? I would like to check my chances of enrolling in this course. Because I have already used 5 opportunities to apply through UCAS. I received offers but refused. Now I decided to use the extra opportunity to apply. Therefore, I try to clarify my chances of being accepted for the course and then apply through UCAS.
Strathclyde and Dundee's requirements are more suitable for me. But I would like to ask you to help me discuss this issue with a representative of the admission team or with someone else.
I am currently considering studying accelerated LLB at Aberdeen, Dundee, and Strathclyde.
By the way, I know everything about SQE, I just need help with the effectiveness of the course and my chances of being accepted into this course. After completing this course, I intend to qualify as a solicitor in Scotland and then England.
Thank you for your help.
Thanks Cristiano22 I'm afraid our phone lines on campus are still out of action at the moment as we are currently working remotely, but you are very welcome to contact Douglas at our School of Law through unibuddy, and he will be happy to arrange a time to call and discuss this with you: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/student...54bb0459261cc4

Many thanks,
Paul
Advertisement
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Rankings don't matter. Difficult to say about prestige, because that varies by employer and even by the individuals who happen to be reading your application. But there is something to be said about Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Dundee being risks in the sense that you can only be discrimated against/discounted for going there - no one will look at them and give you extra brownie points!

Glasgow is by far the safest choice. It has a much bigger alumni base in England. It also has better faculty and more academic students so that may help you indirectly if you wish to go on to postgraduate study and/or research. Having role models in your cohort and supportive tutors who know their **** and are well-known in the world of academia can make a big difference.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
16.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (55)
31.98%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (19)
11.05%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.07%
I think it's an unfair expectation (44)
25.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed