cutepotato38
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I finished my GCSEs a couple weeks back, though it was much different to past students' experiences due to the pandemic. I finished with a predicted 9 in lit, 8 in maths, combined science, religious studies, french, lang and a 7 in music. I also got a distinction in health and social care.

I applied and got into my dream college, but I am starting to have doubts about my chosen courses, which are psych, them and health and social care. I am interested in chemistry and may go into the medical or pharmaceutical industry in the future. I believe that psych can be applied within or even outside of the work setting, so I believe that it is a good broad subject to study.

However, I am very passionate about french - it was probably my favourite subject at GCSE level and I wonder if it would a good idea to change to doing a language instead, Health and social care can help those that would like work in nursing or midwifery and I am not sure that is the route for me.

In the future, I would like to be teacher or pharmacist and would like to choose courses that will help me achieve this.

I have thought about doing 4 a-levels, but I am worried about the workload and my college doesn't recommend it lol

Thank you for listening to my ramble - i love you and happy pride,
Your newly acquainted anxious lesbian <3
vjjcnc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
currently in the same boat as you but completely in reverse, I’ve signed up for Spanish A levels which I am starting to have my doubts about but I am thinking of doing biology because I am quite passionate about sports science which I want to do at uni. All the advice i’ve gotten so far is to do the subject I will enjoy the most (which isn’t all that helpful with the decision i have to make tbh) so if that bit of advice helps u then i’m glad but if not then have comfort in knowing i can’t decide between a language and a science eitherrr
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cutepotato38)
Hi guys,

I finished my GCSEs a couple weeks back, though it was much different to past students' experiences due to the pandemic. I finished with a predicted 9 in lit, 8 in maths, combined science, religious studies, french, lang and a 7 in music. I also got a distinction in health and social care.

I applied and got into my dream college, but I am starting to have doubts about my chosen courses, which are psych, them and health and social care. I am interested in chemistry and may go into the medical or pharmaceutical industry in the future. I believe that psych can be applied within or even outside of the work setting, so I believe that it is a good broad subject to study.

However, I am very passionate about french - it was probably my favourite subject at GCSE level and I wonder if it would a good idea to change to doing a language instead, Health and social care can help those that would like work in nursing or midwifery and I am not sure that is the route for me.

In the future, I would like to be teacher or pharmacist and would like to choose courses that will help me achieve this.

I have thought about doing 4 a-levels, but I am worried about the workload and my college doesn't recommend it lol

Thank you for listening to my ramble - i love you and happy pride,
Your newly acquainted anxious lesbian <3
Your college place isn't confirmed until results day. If you plan to change options you need to talk to them - there may not be places. In my school changes aren't always possible ...
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to go into medicine I would suggest you read the first post in this thread made by ecolier: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 which outlines the requirements for all UK medical schools. In general to give yourself the most options you should aim to take A-level Biology and A-level Chemistry, and for all medical schools except Cambridge you can take any third A-level.

For going into bioscience degrees with the aim of moving into the pharmaceutical industry, normally you would be expected to have A-level Biology and/or A-level Chemistry as well. So you may as well take both to give yourself the best range of options if you are interested in that. I don't believe health and social care is required by all nursing or midwifery (and related allied health professions) courses. I do not know if it is acceptable for entry to medical degrees; I imagine it might be considered weaker preparation for some of the "top" bioscience degrees as well, compared to a traditionally academic A-level (in any subject), or ideally a third STEM subject.

A-level Psychology is not required for any degree programme, and it will not be relevant background for any professional work (in healthcare settings or otherwise) as by the time you graduate that knowledge will a) have been studied many years ago and not be that familiar to you anymore b) may well be out of date for professional purposes and c) if you needed any psychology background you would cover that in the relevant degree.

Why not just take A-level Bio/Chem/French if your interest is in biosciences/medical/healthcare fields, and you want to continue developing your French language abilities? Alternately you could take any (ideally traditionally academic, if you want to aim for e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, and similar) third subject and develop your French language abilities in an extracurricular manner if you are less confident in doing well in the A-level.
_hifza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vjjcnc)
currently in the same boat as you but completely in reverse, I’ve signed up for Spanish A levels which I am starting to have my doubts about but I am thinking of doing biology because I am quite passionate about sports science which I want to do at uni. All the advice i’ve gotten so far is to do the subject I will enjoy the most (which isn’t all that helpful with the decision i have to make tbh) so if that bit of advice helps u then i’m glad but if not then have comfort in knowing i can’t decide between a language and a science eitherrr
I finished biology and spanish a level this year and loved it! what are your other a levels?
vjjcnc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _hifza)
I finished biology and spanish a level this year and loved it! what are your other a levels?
omg finally someone!!! i really need help in choosing between the two, i posted my own post but havent got much replies. Right now, after watching a ton of videos and looking over the specs and talking to my teachers I think i am leaning towards doing biology even tho i currently have spanish chosen. I might want to do sport science at uni and i find human biology like things about nutrition, digestion, and the body in general quite interesting. I think i only really chose spanish because i wanted to be able to tell people i speak it fluently and for CVs. Do u think that the level of spanish u were speaking after a levels was strong enough to be considered fluent, like u could go to spain and be able to converse with people? and Do u have any advice for biology and any tips about the mark scheme? I've got so many more questions but don't want to bump into someone elses post haha
_hifza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vjjcnc)
omg finally someone!!! i really need help in choosing between the two, i posted my own post but havent got much replies. Right now, after watching a ton of videos and looking over the specs and talking to my teachers I think i am leaning towards doing biology even tho i currently have spanish chosen. I might want to do sport science at uni and i find human biology like things about nutrition, digestion, and the body in general quite interesting. I think i only really chose spanish because i wanted to be able to tell people i speak it fluently and for CVs. Do u think that the level of spanish u were speaking after a levels was strong enough to be considered fluent, like u could go to spain and be able to converse with people? and Do u have any advice for biology and any tips about the mark scheme? I've got so many more questions but don't want to bump into someone elses post haha
with spanish A level I really think you could get fluent! I can speak to native spanish speakers and its quite easy, obviously it depends on how much you try, but with the specification you learn such a wide range of vocab and grammar. For biology, I would say make sure you get a grip of the main processes eg. photosynthesis and cell cycle when you get taught it, like in the lesson make sure you're asking questions, so it's not all left to learn later. Also if you do past papers, make sure you study the mark scheme to see what they are looking for eg.key words. if you need any other help please feel free to ask
vjjcnc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _hifza)
with spanish A level I really think you could get fluent! I can speak to native spanish speakers and its quite easy, obviously it depends on how much you try, but with the specification you learn such a wide range of vocab and grammar. For biology, I would say make sure you get a grip of the main processes eg. photosynthesis and cell cycle when you get taught it, like in the lesson make sure you're asking questions, so it's not all left to learn later. Also if you do past papers, make sure you study the mark scheme to see what they are looking for eg.key words. if you need any other help please feel free to ask
thank u so much this was really helpful!! now idkkk i really want to be able to speak fluent spanish but i will need biology for one of the degrees i want to do at uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (70)
22.95%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.26%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.13%
I'm really nervous (63)
20.66%

Watched Threads