Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just weighing my options lol
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve recently landed a job as a associate practitioner (band 4) in a lab. 🙂

Had an interview for a trainee BMS position, however the question “tell me what you understand about the biomedical science code of conduct and can you give me some examples” threw me completely so, I doubt I will get that offer…

So in short, whilst I can’t give an exhaustive list, an associate practitioner after a short amount of experience as an MLA isn’t a bad start shortly after completing your degree.

Starting salary for it is around £22k, plus any additional benefits such as fringe, night shifts and bank holiday pay could get you £25k shortly after graduating. 🙂
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 1 month ago
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
nothing
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I say shortly after graduating, I mean around 3 months after I started as an MLA, I was offered the AP position. Only reason I took it was for lab experience and around 3 months later, a job ad was posted for an AP and one of the requirements was “experience working in a pathogen lab”. So I did fit the criteria and after starting on around £19k/year as an MLA, I managed to get a £25k/year job as a AP. 🙂

Yes in order to start to move up the ladder, you HAVE to start at the bottom (band 2/3).
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 1 month ago
mydearestpotato
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on whether the degree is accredited or not.If you have IBMS accreditation and were able to do a placement with your University and complete a portfolio, you can register on the HCPC to become a Biomedical Scientist.Otherwise, like the others have said you will have to work your way up if you want to have a career in Biomedical Science e.g. starting as a lab assistant. Try to look out for hospitals that do IBMS portfolio training or have positions for Trainee Biomedical Scientists but this is rare.There are also other areas the degree is useful for, you could use it as a stepping stone for another career such as a Physician Associate or apply to Graduate Medicine after which is what a lot of people do. There are a lot of transferable skills that you can gain from the degree (third link below). There are many other jobs within the scientific field that the degree could help with:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/career-advice/jobs-with-a-biomedical-sciences-degree/80649/

https://isc.surrey.ac.uk/news/careers-in-biomedical-science
Last edited by mydearestpotato; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
14.85%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
32.01%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.54%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.58%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.61%
I think it's an unfair expectation (77)
25.41%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.99%

Watched Threads