Ciel_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so for uni I wanted to buy a macbook (im going to do Law) but Im extremely confused bc Ive never had one before nor am I a techie.

So I was looking at the macbook air 2020, then came across like 2017 and 2018 and 2015 macbook air and Im wondering if theres a real difference between them? If the previous models still work as fast I should be ok right?

I guess that could be because Im still holding on to the iphone 8 plus for dear life even when the 13 is out.

if anyone could please help me with which one I should go for that'd be really helpful tysm
username5770391
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel_)
So I was looking at the macbook air 2020, then came across like 2017 and 2018 and 2015 macbook air and Im wondering if theres a real difference between them? If the previous models still work as fast I should be ok right?
There is actually a fairly significant difference between the 2020 model and all older models. In the 2020 models, Apple started using their own in house ARM based processors, whereas previously they used Intel processors. This means software developers and even Apple themselves had to make sure their software runs on ARM chips. Apple intends to transition away completely from Intel.

What this means for you, is that if you purchased a MacBook today, it wouldn't really matter which one you got. Even an older model will work fine today, and most likely for the foreseeable future. However, it's quite likely that software and software updates will be stopped for Intel based MacBooks at some point. So you may find one day that a piece of software just stops working for example.

It therefore makes the most sense to purchase a 2020 MacBook, as this will give you a device with far better longevity. There's also a number of more technical details such as performance and issues with the keyboard which make it a bad idea to buy the older models. Stick to the 2020 MacBook Air.
Ciel_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Acsel)
There is actually a fairly significant difference between the 2020 model and all older models. In the 2020 models, Apple started using their own in house ARM based processors, whereas previously they used Intel processors. This means software developers and even Apple themselves had to make sure their software runs on ARM chips. Apple intends to transition away completely from Intel.

What this means for you, is that if you purchased a MacBook today, it wouldn't really matter which one you got. Even an older model will work fine today, and most likely for the foreseeable future. However, it's quite likely that software and software updates will be stopped for Intel based MacBooks at some point. So you may find one day that a piece of software just stops working for example.

It therefore makes the most sense to purchase a 2020 MacBook, as this will give you a device with far better longevity. There's also a number of more technical details such as performance and issues with the keyboard which make it a bad idea to buy the older models. Stick to the 2020 MacBook Air.
Thats really helpful thank you, have a good day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads