?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone here had a perm I have some questions
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I've never personally had a perm, but I've watched my friends get them done. I'm also pretty knowledgeable about the process as my mum's a hairdresser. I can help, if you'd like?

If not, at least this bumps the thread.
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
Hey! I've never personally had a perm, but I've watched my friends get them done. I'm also pretty knowledgeable about the process as my mum's a hairdresser. I can help, if you'd like?

If not, at least this bumps the thread.
Amazing! So like how long does it last, how much is it to go straight and can you wash it. Xxx
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
Amazing! So like how long does it last, how much is it to go straight and can you wash it. Xxx
They can last anywhere from 4-7 months. Once your roots start to grow back in, you'll have to decide if you're going to repeat the treatment or wait for it to grow out completely.

The cost varies depending on which salon or stylist you go to, but generally, you can expect to pay anywhere between £70 to £300. The length and texture of your hair will also impact the price.

After the first 3 days, it's highly recommended to not wash your hair (or get caught in the rain). After that yes you can.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
Nah don't need it. I cut all my hair off now anyway, much easier to manage now. I hear it's very dangerous to artificially perm your hair anyway, it will damage it. Straight hair is much better, if you got that then you're lucky.
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
They can last anywhere from 4-7 months. Once your roots start to grow back in, you'll have to decide if you're going to repeat the treatment or wait for it to grow out completely.

The cost varies depending on which salon or stylist you go to, but generally, you can expect to pay anywhere between £70 to £300. The length and texture of your hair will also impact the price.

After the first 3 days, it's highly recommended to not wash your hair (or get caught in the rain). After that yes you can.
Does it damage your hair a lot? I wanna try it but I don't want my hair to fall out or something. And thanks !
JJJ286
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone here had a perm I have some questions
yes and ill tell u rn dont do it.
Your hair will grow out and you will need to keep using heat to style it everyday, which will wreck havoc on your hair especially if it is bleached, or fine like mine is. It was painful and expensive to get and keep up with too. Natural is best and there are so many damage less and heatless ways to style your hair.
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does it damage your hair a lot? I wanna try it but I don't want my hair to fall out or something. And thanks !
There's a preconception that perms will leave you with over-processed, damage-ridden tresses, but if it's done correctly, a perm should leave you unscathed. Doing your own perm could definitely cause damage, but if you're getting it done professionally, there should be no damage or fall out.

Of course!
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
(Original post by JJJ286)
yes and ill tell u rn dont do it.
Your hair will grow out and you will need to keep using heat to style it everyday, which will wreck havoc on your hair especially if it is bleached, or fine like mine is. It was painful and expensive to get and keep up with too. Natural is best and there are so many damage less and heatless ways to style your hair.
I'm not planning on using heat on it at all if I get a straight perm My hair will be soft and that's what I want
nightingalegend
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes. don’t do it please 😭 doing the bing chop and growing it out again is so much better! your natural hair growth will be so much healthier
nightingalegend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nightingalegend)
yes. don’t do it please 😭 doing the bing chop and growing it out again is so much better! your natural hair growth will be so much healthier
**big chop lmao.
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
I mean girl how long does it take you to do Ur hair in the morning? I'm loving the braids or straight hair life, less maintenance.
nightingalegend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean girl how long does it take you to do Ur hair in the morning? I'm loving the braids or straight hair life, less maintenance.
true. but i wash my hair in sections and comb through each section after i wash it (under the stream of water, makes it 100 times easier) and then braid it. the next morning i’ll moisturise and comb through it again, then put it in two french braids... but i wear the hijab so i just tie it up in a bun when i need to.

i guess if it works for you, perm it, but it takes a lot of care. with my mental health troubles and all that jazz i couldn’t really keep up with it :/
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
true. but i wash my hair in sections and comb through each section after i wash it (under the stream of water, makes it 100 times easier) and then braid it. the next morning i’ll moisturise and comb through it again, then put it in two french braids... but i wear the hijab so i just tie it up in a bun when i need to.

i guess if it works for you, perm it, but it takes a lot of care. with my mental health troubles and all that jazz i couldn’t really keep up with it :/
Well I wouldn't wanna take advice from someone who calls herself a stupid bich xD but yeah you have some patience cause that seems long. It's really nice to see other black girls embracing their natural hair though and maintaining it x
nightingalegend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I wouldn't wanna take advice from someone who calls herself a stupid bich xD but yeah you have some patience cause that seems long. It's really nice to see other black girls embracing their natural hair though and maintaining it x
AHAHA you saw that 😭😭 i mean it is true tbh

and also thank you 💓 xx
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
AHAHA you saw that 😭😭 i mean it is true tbh

and also thank you 💓 xx
Wait sis how much did you pay for the perm
nightingalegend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wait sis how much did you pay for the perm
well there’s the ‘just for me’ relaxer kits you can get, you can use those at home.

when i got a perm at a black hair salon i think it was around £40-£60 despite taking my age at the time (i was 13/14) into consideration, so for adults it’d probably be around £60-£80ish depending on the salon
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
well there’s the ‘just for me’ relaxer kits you can get, you can use those at home.

when i got a perm at a black hair salon i think it was around £40-£60 despite taking my age at the time (i was 13/14) into consideration, so for adults it’d probably be around £60-£80ish depending on the salon
Ah that's calm. Thanks! Hope you're doing well btw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed