Starting Gym Advice

Watch
jasontesfaye
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've wanted to start the gym for a while now but I've always been anxious about it, and so I've put it off for ages.

I'm 19, around 5'9, 60kg and generally very skinny. I've been insecure about my body for a while so I want to gain a little bit of muscle.

I'm just unsure on what to do really. I don't have any knowledge or experience with any of the equipment so I'm not sure what to use, how to use it or how long to use it for. Are there any workout plans that you'd reccomend? I was thinking of investing in a PT but some friends say they're rather expensive and I can just find the information online, so I'm conflicted. Is a PT worth it?

What sort of supplments/pre-workout should I invest in?

I feel really stupid asking all this but any advice would be so helpful!!
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I remember having a long period of intensive home workouts before i was ready enough to start the gym...

So I did press-ups, sit-ups, dumbbell curls (it was a bag with heavy law books in it as the weights), squats, shoulder raises, shoulder press, triceps dips, back press ... etc

I just watched YouTube videos on different variations of exercises and made sure I was fully educated on the machines... when I actually went to the gym, I felt pretty much already like a veteran

The gym basically just expands on what you can do.

The machines should have an instruction on how to use them, similarly you could just watch how someone else uses it and try and replicate it.. it’s not really like rocket theory..
Make sure you’re always assessing yourself on how to improve on your technique...

Technique beats everything.

I didn’t really need a personal trainer because of this...

As for supplements, I do recall taking creatine (I didn’t like the taste so I stopped) and some protein powders

I don’t take those anymore though because I like the more ripped/ aesthetic look rather than big.. my diet consisted of protein based foods; so chicken, and meat mainly....
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t worry gyms employ enthusiastic fitness fanatics that adore helping you with a personal plan
Jaz._bg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jasontesfaye)
I've wanted to start the gym for a while now but I've always been anxious about it, and so I've put it off for ages.

I'm 19, around 5'9, 60kg and generally very skinny. I've been insecure about my body for a while so I want to gain a little bit of muscle.

I'm just unsure on what to do really. I don't have any knowledge or experience with any of the equipment so I'm not sure what to use, how to use it or how long to use it for. Are there any workout plans that you'd reccomend? I was thinking of investing in a PT but some friends say they're rather expensive and I can just find the information online, so I'm conflicted. Is a PT worth it?

What sort of supplments/pre-workout should I invest in?

I feel really stupid asking all this but any advice would be so helpful!!
Hello! From my experience going to the gym can be really scary but I was so glad when I eventually did because all of the staff are very nice and accommodating!

It's totally okay if you don't know what to do with the equipment, the staff that work there should offer an induction where they basically go around the gym and show you how to use all of the apparatus. I'm sure that if you tell them what your goals are then they can recommend the best equipment to use to ensure the results that you want.

I don't think a PT is always the right choice but of course that's up to you, I suggest maybe giving the gym a try first and if you're not happy with your progress then maybe consider a PT!

Also as far as supplements and pre-workouts go I don't know much at all but maybe do some research online and see what other people recommend? I hope this helped
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I would say that you need just keep going on with your gym routine you will get into a nice shape soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (23)
57.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.5%

Watched Threads