The Student Room Group

DT NEA Eduqas GCSE

I am doing gcse dt eduqas and this year the briefs are awfully vague! The briefs are:
- finding and fixing a problem
- designers
- biomimicry
The first one is basically anything in dt!!
Is anyone else in the same boat? If so, do you have any ideas of the top of your head?
Honestly those are great briefs :tongue: the first one basically means you can do what you want since all successful design projects should be based around an actual problem.

You are right in that it is difficult to design something when the scope is so broad, I would suggest you doing 3 mindmaps with the brief in the middle of each one. Around each have branches coming off with potential topic areas of things you are interested in (not ideas at this point) e.g for the problem one if you are really interested in playing football put football down.

Underneath each topic list potential problems e.g transporting muddy kit between home and the football field.

For the second and third one listing out problems is going to be a bit more tricky, with that one i would list out potential biomimicry areas and designers that you are inspired by. Then once you have these areas choose one to apply to the problems you have already identified (only if you are choosing the second or third brief obviously).

E.g for muddy football boots you could look at how the coats and feathers of animals repel dirt and grease.

I hope that helped somewhat :redface:
Hi! Does anyone know what the design briefs for AQA are this year?
Original post by 123ken
I am doing gcse dt eduqas and this year the briefs are awfully vague! The briefs are:
- finding and fixing a problem
- designers
- biomimicry
The first one is basically anything in dt!!
Is anyone else in the same boat? If so, do you have any ideas of the top of your head?

It's a bit late now but I am doing the same board.

I chose the first design brief as it was the most vague.

I ended up designing a homework timer, with a visual and audio output - as well as a whiteboard function!
- I tried to choose something unique as most others are doing moisture sensors in my year

How's DT going for you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I also chose the first brief as it gave me the most creative liberty in my opinion.

I ended up doing a semi virtual queueing system where you take a token with a number and go to the till when your number is called and written out. It’s similar to other stuff on the market but the tokens are reusable and everything is recyclable.

Quite a lot of people in our year did plant related products (not through biomimicry though).

How are you learning all the content for the exam? There’s so much! And they didn’t even get rid of anything or give advanced info!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 123ken
I also chose the first brief as it gave me the most creative liberty in my opinion.

I ended up doing a semi virtual queueing system where you take a token with a number and go to the till when your number is called and written out. It’s similar to other stuff on the market but the tokens are reusable and everything is recyclable.

Quite a lot of people in our year did plant related products (not through biomimicry though).

How are you learning all the content for the exam? There’s so much! And they didn’t even get rid of anything or give advanced info!

Your idea seams very cool, and intuitive. I think the teachers are marking this years projects so as long as your product s unique within your year it should be a boost in marks.

I also agree that there is a lot to learn, but it's okay compared to other subjects.

Good luck in the exam - I'm really scared rn for them, but its going be okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest