ollies503546
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm struggling to decide what A-levels to take. I've decided on English language and psychology but now I'm torn between Philosophy, History, A level Business. Can anyone share their experiences with how difficult these are and if they enjoyed them?
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ollies503546)
I'm struggling to decide what A-levels to take. I've decided on English language and psychology but now I'm torn between Philosophy, History, A level Business. Can anyone share their experiences with how difficult these are and if they enjoyed them?
I did History and Philosophy.
History was A LOT of work and I found it really difficult. It was a lot of essays and coursework. We did the Stuarts and the Nazis, so it was pretty heavy stuff too so I found it draining.
I found Philosophy a lot easier. It was essay based too, but I didn't find the essays as hard and I thought the content of the course was a lot more interesting.
anaturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know what you may like to study at uni? Out of those 3 I do history and whilst I really like it, it is a lot of work and quite hard to revise for. What time periods would you be studying? My friends who do philosophy and business find them relatively easy, but obviously it does vary person-to-person.

They are all interesting and well-respected subjects so the most important thing is what you think you'll find easiest and most interesting.
ollies503546
Rep:
?
(Original post by anaturner)
Do you know what you may like to study at uni? Out of those 3 I do history and whilst I really like it, it is a lot of work and quite hard to revise for. What time periods would you be studying? My friends who do philosophy and business find them relatively easy, but obviously it does vary person-to-person.

They are all interesting and well-respected subjects so the most important thing is what you think you'll find easiest and most interesting.
We do Mao's china, Communist Russia, Medieval England and coursework with our own enquiry into an area of our choosing. I've done history at GCSE level and have gotten 6's/7's do you think that ill be at a good enough level?
ollies503546
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucyyy12)
I did History and Philosophy.
History was A LOT of work and I found it really difficult. It was a lot of essays and coursework. We did the Stuarts and the Nazis, so it was pretty heavy stuff too so I found it draining.
I found Philosophy a lot easier. It was essay based too, but I didn't find the essays as hard and I thought the content of the course was a lot more interesting.
Our stuff appears to be quite draining too there's two things on communism and another on medieval England. I got 6's/7's at GCSE what level do you think i'd need to be at to be able to do well?
Last edited by ollies503546; 1 month ago
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Our staff appears to be quite draining too there's two things on communism and another on medieval England. I got 6's/7's at GCSE what level do you think i'd need to be at to be able to do well?
I think you’d be just fine with that, I did the old GSCEs but that’s a A/B right? That’s what most people had when I was doing A Levels. I got a B in History and I was happy with that

also I’d say the content and structure of A Level History is quite similar to GSCE but just in an extreme amount of depth lol and more focus on historians’ opinions.
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did psychology and business. I liked how business used so many real life examples but there were no set ones that you had to remember so you could choose what business to apply to questions. The research methods in psychology will overlap with market research in business and for AQA both include Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. The fact that basically everyone will end up working in a business means it is very useful and opens more doors than other subjects

Hope this helps and I’m happy to answer any questions you have
crazyowlthing123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am doing history and philosophy at AS level. I do the AQA course for history with Tudors and Russia and for Philosophy I do OCR. I love philosophy, I didn't do RS at GCSE but it doesn't affect my understanding now.

At first I found it difficult, but as you review the content over and over again, even in just brief amounts it is easier to understand. If you like to get deep about stuff and if you seem to second guess why we were placed here in the universe, or if you like conspiracy theories then you will like Philosophy. It's my favourite subject, so I may be abit biased but it is a fascinating subject and it will make you sound really smart when people start debating about existence. Just be prepared for many existential crises!

For history, I like it. It's alright. The content is really good, it's not really like GCSE though. There are no 6/8 mark questions, only 30+ marks from here on out! There is a lot of content, for both, but they are really enjoyable subjects that I think interlock quite nicely. The only bad thing I'd say about history is the coursework, it's a pain but at least you have some of your exam over and done with before you do the final thing, you can go in with abit of confidence under your belt!

For both the subjects as well there is a lot of outside help, such as podcasts and books that are helpful to listen to/ read that can help you understand the content better. But I think that from taking these subjects, especially Philosophy, it matures you in a way that I don't think the other subjects can (like science and maths). You really do come to understand the society we live in today and it's origins. It also helps you sound really smart if you start mouthing off about Leninism, revolutions, communism, a priori and a posteriori knowledge and whether God is omnipotent/ benevolent!!

I hope this helps, but if you do need anymore help, I would be happy to provide any revision stuff you may need or some advice
anaturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We do Mao's china, Communist Russia, Medieval England and coursework with our own enquiry into an area of our choosing. I've done history at GCSE level and have gotten 6's/7's do you think that ill be at a good enough level?
I got an 8 at GCSE but regularly got 6s and 7s on assessments - I'm sure you'll be fine! Those topics sound really interesting - maybe take the time you have off now to read some articles, listen to podcasts, etc on the topics... definitely not necessary to do (I haven't done it much!!!) but it'll give you a good insight and some extra knowledge for your lessons if you do choose to do history... and if the thought of doing that sounds absolutely awful + boring then maybe history isn't for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16.24%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31.47%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (23)
11.68%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.12%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.58%
I think it's an unfair expectation (50)
25.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.52%

Watched Threads