Minnerow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I studied Maths, Chemistry and Physics A Level and I applied to study Chemical Engineering but now after long thought, I rejected all my offers and is now wanting to apply and do Software Engineering/Computer Science.

I don't know if I should do a foundation year or just do a normal degree given that I know nothing about coding but is willing to work hard and I am passionate about it.

Should I do a foundation year or a normal degree?
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all, check if the Uni where you hold your Firm also offers Computer Science - then see what the entry requirements are. Usually Comp Sci only requires Maths, as not all schools offer Comp Sci. If you meet the entry requirements, phone admissions and see if you can switch courses. This is the simplest way of doing this. Otherwise you are looking at dropping all your current offers and applying to courses that still have vacancies (and that will not be at particularly good Unis).
chatsmilady
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What A level subjects do Software Engineering/Computer Science require? If computer science is not required, it's most likely that the lectures would cover the basic content for those who didn't learn computer science. So check that first?
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Minnerow)
I don't know if I should do a foundation year or just do a normal degree given that I know nothing about coding but is willing to work hard and I am passionate about it.
How do you know you are passionate about something if you don't know anything about it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (56)
22.58%
Excited but a bit nervous (112)
45.16%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.31%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.95%

Watched Threads