Help! Move into university halls or stay at home?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in a big dilemma.

To start things off, my maintenance loan does not cover my accomodation fees, but my parents will happily support me if i do move into halls.

I want to move into halls because I want to experience the full uni life, going out, meeting new people, being absolutely independent from my parents. However, I will be absolutely ****ed financially, like I need to get a job to cover my extra living expenses.

At the same time, it's so easy to commute from my house to my campus, which is in London, which all ultimately saves me £10k, (which is my fee for accom) and allows me to go out freely, buy a new laptop all that good jazz.

But I plan to live at home for the rest of my four years of studying, (my degree is 6 years). So I feel like if I live at home, I'll miss my one true chance of living at university halls and being a broke student.

Please help me, which do I choose!
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in a big dilemma.

To start things off, my maintenance loan does not cover my accomodation fees, but my parents will happily support me if i do move into halls.

I want to move into halls because I want to experience the full uni life, going out, meeting new people, being absolutely independent from my parents. However, I will be absolutely ****ed financially, like I need to get a job to cover my extra living expenses.

At the same time, it's so easy to commute from my house to my campus, which is in London, which all ultimately saves me £10k, (which is my fee for accom) and allows me to go out freely, buy a new laptop all that good jazz.

But I plan to live at home for the rest of my four years of studying, (my degree is 6 years). So I feel like if I live at home, I'll miss my one true chance of living at university halls and being a broke student.

Please help me, which do I choose!
To me, i think you should move to halls. This is IF uni returns to normal or a decent level of normality, but if you would be 100% online then probably weigh your options.

Living in halls would allow you to make new friends, be independent and be able to engage as a young adult. Good luck
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I would suggest moving into halls. I moved into my own private let alone when I started university instead of going into halls and I regret that decision so much. Yea I got my independence and a chance to develop my skills living alone however making friends was so difficult. I definitely missed out on the full university experience so you should consider moving into halls, even if it is just for a year. However if staying at home is what you want then there are other chances to make friends like societies and speaking to people in class. It’s just a little more difficult but definitely doable.

If university doesn’t go back to normal then I wouldn’t recommend halls. It won’t be worth your money moving in to halls not to get the full experience.

Good luck with your studies! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.79%
Uncertainty around my education (85)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.63%
Lack of purpose or motivation (95)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.25%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.65%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.77%
Financial worries (50)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.31%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.56%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.67%

Watched Threads