lupin74
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study economics at uni and am wondering what wider reading i can do to make myself more knowledgable and anything else i can do to pad up my personal statement. Please don't feel that anything is to obvious everything even if you think ive done it can help.
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
inb4 someone suggests Freakonomics or Wealth of Nations
username5701862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lupin74)
I want to study economics at uni and am wondering what wider reading i can do to make myself more knowledgable and anything else i can do to pad up my personal statement. Please don't feel that anything is to obvious everything even if you think ive done it can help.
Read news articles, you don't have to read books.
lupin74
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)
thanks, i'll look into those. Do you think i should try and be unique and read something more niche or is it best to stick with the classics and more mainstream literature.
Hama31
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks, i'll look into those. Do you think i should try and be unique and read something more niche or is it best to stick with the classics and more mainstream literature.
I'm looking to read them in the summer too. My teacher said to definitely start with the basics, then explore by yourself. It's good to see what everyone else is reading but also expand on something you like
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly couldn't tell you, when I applied (for management / marketing) I put the basics everyone has read, Josh Kaufmans Personal MBA and This is Marketing by Seth Godin. Seemed to work for me, although thinking back, if I was an admissions officer I would find it incredibly corny lol
username5701862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't read something that everyone else is reading. If I were an admissions tutor, I'd probably find it annoying. But then again, it's your personal statement so do as you please.
Last edited by username5701862; 1 month ago
Nadia-J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)
inb4 someone suggests The Economist.
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Undercover Economist
XanaXoid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually, you have 2 options. You can read classic books like Wealth of Nations or Capital. But in my opinion, reading more modern books is better. Levi.- suggested Undercover Economist, and it's a great book if you want a well-done introduction to the subject. Other people suggested Freakonomics, another great book especially if you want to understand the economic theory in a non-academic environment. Also if you already know which branch of econ you like you can pick some more specific books. If you like Behavioural econ my opinion Animal Spirits is a great book
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have said, there are common books that a number of applicants talk about, like Undercover Economist, The Armchair Economist and Freakonomics, as well as stuff on game theory. You could watch online lectures/courses etc. to be a bit different (more variation)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads