Would i get accepted with mental health and could i become a officer in the Navy

Watch
billsj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, im 17.
I have mental health with ADHD and I'm medicated. I was wondering could I get accepted Into the navy with ADHD medication or would I need to come off?
Also what are the requirements for a navy officer and would i get accepted?
Maths-4
English lit-4
English lang - 5
Combined Science 3-3
Public services Dilpma level 3 - D*D*
Health Social Care Diploma Level 3 - MM

I have low grades due to only having one year of secondary education, in my younger education i was top set for maths history science,art.

Ive saw on the website you can do A levels and GCSE in the Navy.
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bills, check the eligibility criteria for RN Officers on the Careers website. Medically you need to be free of symptoms and medication for at least 3 years to be considered . But you should not come off any prescribed medication without professional direction.

I’m sure Kerzen can give you more information and honest advice about your interest in the Navy.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by billsj)
Hi, im 17.
I have mental health with ADHD and I'm medicated. I was wondering could I get accepted Into the navy with ADHD medication or would I need to come off?
Maths-4
English lit-4
English lang - 5
Combined Science 3-3

I have low grades due to only having one year of secondary education, in my younger education i was top set for maths history science,art.

From the Royal Navy Recruitment website:
"Certain Officer roles require you to have specific vocational degrees, however the minimum academic standard for entry as a Royal Navy Officer is 5 GCSEs A-C (9-4) which must include English language and mathematics at grade B/6 or above, and 96 UCAS points gained from A Levels or accepted equivalents."

Being in top sets when younger has no affect on your application; unfortunately, you don't have the basic grades at this time. You may even need further qualifications, depending what role you want to apply for.

You can take GCSEs and A-levels after joining, but not to make up for missing out on entry requirements.

You would also need to show leadership potential; have you been involved in clubs and societies, had any jobs, been in uniformed organisations where you've had responsibilities?

Ikaruss has given the published advice on the medical side, but no-one can tell you for definite if you are eligible on medical grounds; that would have to come from the doctors.
billsj
Rep:
?
Im a young carer
Vollunteering at a care home is
done summer math tutoring for my cousins for the last 4 years 2 times a week during the summer break.
Taught some trampolining lessons for people with special needs.
Overtook 3 months of trampoling lesson course for yr 11 pe trampolining. ( this is due to the incapable trainers, they were 290 pound rugby trainers)
I've volunteered as a tour guild and farm work at an animal sanctuary.
I did boy scouts from 6-8 then sea cadets from 9-11.
Doing tutoring for maths for my next-door neighbor with adhd. during this summer holiday.
I was a lead singer in chiro for one 1year in the primary.

Not alot
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im a young carer
Vollunteering at a care home is
done summer math tutoring for my cousins for the last 4 years 2 times a week during the summer break.
Taught some trampolining lessons for people with special needs.
Overtook 3 months of trampoling lesson course for yr 11 pe trampolining. ( this is due to the incapable trainers, they were 290 pound rugby trainers)
I've volunteered as a tour guild and farm work at an animal sanctuary.
I did boy scouts from 6-8 then sea cadets from 9-11.
Doing tutoring for maths for my next-door neighbor with adhd. during this summer holiday.
I was a lead singer in chiro for one 1year in the primary.

Not alot
You'll need to talk up the side where you've been responsible and leading people, the armed forces looks for "leadership potential" in its applicants but especially in its officers.

What branch in the RN are you looking at?

It's been covered already, but the medication part is where you'll have a problem. I don't think I've ever heard of any applicant who's still getting treated for a condition - whether physical or mental - who passes the medical. ADHD has in the past been a definite no, but these lines are changing.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, im 17.
Maths-4
English lit-4
English lang - 5
Combined Science 3-3

There are two aspects to your question, one is about the fact that you have a diagnosis of ADHD and the other is about the acceptability of your qualifications for Officer entry.

An applicant with a diagnosis of ADHD would be referred to the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entry). More information about the diagnosis would be gathered in from appropriate sources and SMO(SE) would then make a decision as to whether the applicant could continue with his/her application.

Re your qualifications, your English and Maths would need to be at least a Grade 6.

Other roles (Rating entry) would be possible with your qualifications, as long as you were deemed fit in medical terms of course.

The way forward for you would be to speak personally to one of the Royal Navy's Careers Advisors working in your local AFCO.

Go to this link and scroll down to where it says:

Find your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office

Type in your postcode - you will then see the phone number for the RN Careers Advisors in your area who will be able to advise further.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...get-in-contact

PS It's possible to become an Officer from within the Service, which means that someone can join as a Rating and then be selected for Officer training at a later date.
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
billsj
Rep:
?
thankyou so much
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, im 17.
Maths-4
English lit-4
English lang - 5
Combined Science 3-3

To add to what others have said, my friend who is currently in the Navy said that you need to be off ADHD medication for 3 years before you can join.
Last edited by Sandtrooper; 1 month ago
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
To add to what others have said, my friend who is currently in the Navy said that you need to be off ADHD medication for 3 years before you can join.
'A friend' isn't an official source and that's not what it says on the Royal Navy Recruitment website.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
'A friend' isn't an official source and that's not what it says on the Royal Navy Recruitment website.
My friend is currently in the Navy and has ADHD. I texted him with this question and he checked for me. If you Google it says 3 years off medication, standardly.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
ST

Decisions on ADHD are more complex than that, to be honest.

For what it's worth, the basic principle is that a candidate with ADHD but not having any co-morbidities can be graded fit if he/she has been stable without evidence of dysfunctional behaviour without medication for a year before applying

This isn't sufficient in itself, though, corroborating evidence about how the candidate is functioning in terms of employment/education needs to be gathered in as well and it's only at the point when all the evidence is on the table that the decision is made.

Policy on ADHD changed in 2018, your contact may not know this.

It's important to stress that the decision always lies with the Senior Medical Officer and that the way forward for any applicant is to engage with the recruiters at the local Armed Forces Careers Office. They don't engage with applicants on the subject of medical eligibility themselves, but they are the gateway to the medically qualified staff who do.
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
billsj
Rep:
?
I want to become a weapon machanic.

Could I join on ADHD medication.

Im 17 and very healthy, except I got the pole out my leg a month ago.

I average 35 push ups 8 pull ups over hand can dead lift 280KG and bench 90/95kg running is awful though around 15 mins for a mile and a half
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Im 17 and very healthy, except I got the pole out my leg a month ago.

I average 35 push ups 8 pull ups over hand can dead lift 280KG and bench 90/95kg running is awful though around 15 mins for a mile and a half
billsj

The only people who can decide on medical eligibility are the Navy's medical staff.

Your first port of call needs to be the Royal Navy Careers Advisors in your local Armed Forces Careers Office - they will make sure that you get the right advice on your situation.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...get-in-contact
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I know Kerzen has told you that only the RN medical staff can officially say, and that's right, but if you're currently on medication then the answer is almost certainly going to be no.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
I would not want someone defending the country and handling weapons whilst suffering from mental health issues.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
bamtutor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medical issues aside, you need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 12m 16 secs on a treadmill at age 17 so maybe work on improving before you apply.
billsj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I would not want someone defending the country and handling weapons whilst suffering from mental health issues.
im not going into combat field, i want to go into mechanics or nursing.

even if I was on mental health and I get at least a 2:2 degree would I get accepted for a nursing role with m,medication
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

even if I was on mental health and I get at least a 2:2 degree would I get accepted for a nursing role with m,medication
Everybody in the armed forces is a "warfighter first".

Re your second question; probably not, no.
billsj
Rep:
?
so your saying a naval catering career is a fighting career
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think everyone still has be 'combat 1st - vocation 2nd'

As other have said, no one here can give you a Yes/No answer to these questions, but I'd suspect being on meds for mental health issues will be a big issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (48)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (94)
55.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed