chela_123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there something similar to tsr but focused more on medical questions???
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most of the people on here are med students or want to be anyway
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chela_123)
Is there something similar to tsr but focused more on medical questions???
Head over to the medicine forum
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is an entire section dedicated to medicine on TSR, including sub-forums for applicants, current medical students and doctors. It’s the only forum to have such special treatment!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 month ago
chela_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
There is an entire section dedicated to medicine on TSR, including sub-forums for applicants, current medical students and doctors. It’s the only forum to have such special treatment!
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Head over to the medicine forum
Yeah but I asked a question based on rhoton's impact on neurosurgery but I don't think a lot of people on here know about it and also one of the volunteer team helpers moved it because the medicine section was mainly for help getting into medicine not for actual questions
Last edited by chela_123; 1 month ago
chela_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Most of the people on here are med students or want to be anyway
I was asking about rhoton's impact on neurosurgery, it was originally on the medicine forum but it got moved by someone
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah but I asked a question based on rhoton's impact on neurosurgery but I don't think a lot of people on here know about it and also one of the volunteer team helpers moved it because the medicine section was mainly for help getting into medicine not for actual questions
That's likely just because you're asking a pretty specific question with quite an extensive answer. It can take time to get questions like that answered because you need to find someone who a) knows the answer and b) can be bothered telling you. I can't think of any forum with more medicine students than TSR.
chela_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
That's likely just because you're asking a pretty specific question with quite an extensive answer. It can take time to get questions like that answered because you need to find someone who a) knows the answer and b) can be bothered telling you. I can't think of any forum with more medicine students than TSR.
Thank you
I was just asking because when I asked they moved it out of the medicine forum so I weren't sure if I was asking the right place
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can ask academic medical questions - but your question is just so niche. I'd imagine you'd need to be a specific qualified neurosurgeon to know much about this (and neurosurgery is a very small specialty) and even then, typically a doctor learns what they need to know for current practice, not the history of it and who was involved. I certainly have no idea who discovered any of the current treatments I prescribe in cancer care.

Honestly I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer to that one!
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you
I was just asking because when I asked they moved it out of the medicine forum so I weren't sure if I was asking the right place
Just to clarify - I moved it because it seemed to be pretty science based, not because it didn't have anything at all to do with medicine.
The medicine forums are usually used for general chat about applying to medicine and being a med student/doctor, and questions about science or the course content (like "why does omeprazole stop acid production" or "explain why AZT is an antiviral") we usually move into the science forums because they're really about science and putting it there gets a wider range of responses. If I misunderstood the question we can get it moved back.

As said though I suspect that it's just a really specific question. Just asking on TSR is unlikely to help much, you might need to do your own research or ask one of your course tutors.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This isn't my sphere at all but I must say that this sounds awfully advanced as a subject of study, given that you are only in Year 12!

Before I realised that you were only in the Sixth Form, I'd spent a few minutes looking around for suitable academic papers for you; I saw one or two, but I think that they could be difficult for you to access, as you would very likely need to have a University Log-In.

You will find when you get to Uni that your library will have online access to a lot of journals and so on.

I was going to suggest something like this as a useful source, but I don't think that you will be able to access it.

https://thejns.org/view/journals/j-n...icle-p1331.xml

My worry too is that they might be difficult to grapple with at school level.

Is your teacher OK with the subject you have chosen?

I am worried that all the best sources are not going to be available without a Uni Log-In.

PS I've been able to access the paper linked above myself using my Uni Log-In and it is very interesting.
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
This isn't my sphere at all but I must say that this sounds awfully advanced as a subject of study, given that you are only in Year 12!

Before I realised that you were only in the Sixth Form, I'd spent a few minutes looking around for suitable academic papers for you; I saw one or two, but I think that they could be difficult for you to access, as you would very likely need to have a University Log-In.

You will find when you get to Uni that your library will have online access to a lot of journals and so on.

I was going to suggest something like this as a useful source, but I don't think that you will be able to access it.

I am worried that all the best sources are not going to be available without a Uni Log-In.

PS I've been able to access the paper linked above myself using my Uni Log-In and it is very interesting.
Its open access.

And if it wasn't, well you definitely shouldn't use an illegal site to access it like SciHub. It's very easy, though you might have to use Tor as the browser, but it'd be theft of intellectual property that the publishers got for free so... very immoral. Definitely not.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Its open access.

And if it wasn't, well you definitely shouldn't use an illegal site to access it like SciHub. It's very easy, though you might have to use Tor as the browser, but it'd be theft of intellectual property that the publishers got for free so... very immoral. Definitely not.
Heckin' bad :lol:
chela_123
Rep:
?

Thank you so much! It worked, this was really useful. I appreciate it
chela_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Its open access.

Thank you I definitely won't use it
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Curiosity is getting the better of me ........

How did you come to choose to do your EPQ on such an extraordinary subject?

Does your EPQ have a title?
chela_123
Rep:
?
Curiosity is getting the better of me ........

How did you come to choose to do your EPQ on such an extraordinary subject?

Does your EPQ have a title?
Well it's only been the past year or so that I've started to think about medicine seriously as my family's always pushed me towards engineering so I took my A levels based on engineering which was a big mistake so I'm hoping it will look good on my uni app. But also not to sound like a psychopath or anything but the brain is just fascinating, like it's made of so many intricate structures which if messed with can completely change someones attitude and it controls everything you do and I would like to maybe work in neurology or something. So it just fits.

I still have 6 months to perfect it but I'm looking to title it
'To what extent did Rhoton's work on microsurgical neuroanatomy impact on neurosurgery'
but nothings set yet.

If you have any ideas or anything I could miss please let me know i'd really appreciate it
Last edited by chela_123; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (9)
37.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (13)
54.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads