The Student Room Group

Year 10 mocks- Can I sit somewhere else

So tommorow im starting 2 weeks of mocks and i have extreme anxiety etc. I know I wont be able to mentally sit through it. We have to sit at least 1:30 mins depending on subject. Is it possible for me to sit somewhere seperatelly away from the other. I want to be sat in a seperate room with a teacher or whatever needed as long as im not sat in the hall. Im not trying to cheat etc. I just know theres no way i can cope sitting that long infront of so many people in silence. Please help me.
People at my school were able to go in a different room so probably just email your head of year or something and see if they can arrange it for you?
Reply 2
Are you able to get on with work in a classroom on a normal day? Why do you feel exams are different? - if anything people are less likely to pay you attention as they're too busy writing.

Try to think about what might help within a room with others- would it help to sit at the back or the side or somewhere particular? Your school doesn't have enough rooms or enough staff to give everyone a separate room so you need to have a think about what triggers your anxiety and what might help. Talk to someone in school to see if they can offer any strategies for reducing your anxiety or if there is something relatively simple, like sitting at the back, that the school could provide.

In an exam season I normally have people who variously need to sit:

at the back

with a good view of the exit

good view out of a window

at the side

in a room without a high ceiling

not with other people taking the same exam

a combination of the above

Giving people a room on their own really is a last resort as it raises safeguarding issues, increases the chance of an admin error during the exam, space and people are limited and, honestly, it's not preparing the students for real life - it's better to learn strategies for coping
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest