Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How much would I expect to pay? all my jobs are £50,000+ for a grad

I would have taken out 4 years of Undergrad + maintenance loan + one year masters.
Butene
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it ok to ask what exactly you're working as to get £50k straight out of graduation?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Butene)
Is it ok to ask what exactly you're working as to get £50k straight out of graduation?
No sorry.

But a quick google search can lead you onto the right path or multiple. Really isn't that uncommon to be finding jobs looking to pay grads £50,000

If you study a good course, at a top end uni and aim for a well desired job you can see 6 figures within 2/3 years after grad.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
what job are you applying for?
Anonymous #1
can people politely stop asking which job I am applying too? It's not that hard to find jobs paying over £50k - it's hardly any life changing money so why the craze?

My Question is - (HOW MUCH WILL I EXPECT TO REPAY A MONTH OR YEAR)
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
can people politely stop asking which job I am applying too? It's not that hard to find jobs paying over £50k - it's hardly any life changing money so why the craze?

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-stu...n/what-you-pay
hugechessbrain
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what job is it?
jas149
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hugechessbrain)
what job is it?
(Original post by Joleee)
what job are you applying for?
(Original post by Butene)
It's most likely investment banking. A friend of mine secured a graduate job as an Investment Banking Analyst at Barclays for 50k a year
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

But is it only you that should earn £50k after uni, why can’t we too🤔. Personally I don’t know of any grad job that pays £50k so enlightening the rest of us shouldn’t be a bad thing
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you tried using the 'Student loan calculator 2021'?
https://www.savethestudent.org/stude...ent-calculator

This calculator provides access to more detailed breakdown of the sums and interest.
https://www.student-loan-calculator.co.uk
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 month ago
phaz0rz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If money is a factor for people, why not just move to certain parts of America? There are tech jobs which pay fresh out of uni graduates 6 figures.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
How much would I expect to pay? all my jobs are £50,000+ for a grad

I would have taken out 4 years of Undergrad + maintenance loan + one year masters.

Edit: My Question is - (HOW MUCH WILL I EXPECT TO REPAY A MONTH OR YEAR)
Hi I was in similar situation. Honestly you won't even notice it from your payslips, mine was like £160ish a month deducted on my payslips - my salary over the years kept increasing but did not seem to change this figure either. You can expect probably same as a mortgage length. Only because it's a tiny amount. Note: I am on the old style student loan repayments back when the fees were around £3K or whatever.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(£50,000 - threshold (around £25K)) x 0.09
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by phaz0rz)
If money is a factor for people, why not just move to certain parts of America? There are tech jobs which pay fresh out of uni graduates 6 figures.
Getting work visas for the US is not simple.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by phaz0rz)
In my experience the pay is similar vs UK. Actually a bit more if you're contracting. The pay is lower in UAE and Qatar, but take home pay is higher because there's hardly any tax there. UK contracting has some of the highest rates of pay in the world.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
tcc200
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Realistically, it is a real minority of graduates that earn £50,000+ in year one. The average UK salary is £31k, including non-graduates.

Some will - mainly in investment banking - but these schemes are unbelievably competitive (the number of applications for the largest companies can be in the hundreds of thousands). You would often need more than just a university degree to get in, I would imagine.

Usually, graduates can expect to earn £20k-£30k and the move up in the following years, depending on the sector. Graduate jobs are probably more about gaining experience than anything else, though admittedly salary is always an important consideration.

Just mentioning in case anyone reading this gets the wrong end of the stick about what ‘normal’ is for graduates
phaz0rz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
In my experience the pay is similar vs UK. Actually a bit more if you're contracting. The pay is lower in UAE and Qatar, but take home pay is higher because there's hardly any tax there. UK contracting has some of the highest rates of pay in the world.
Not sure what fields you are talking about where pay is similar. But no way can that include Tech. Many Comp Sci's move to US for this exact reason. USA respect their tech guys and they are paid very well unlike UK.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drewski)
I just find it funny that this guy is humble bragging about the amount of money they're not yet earning, won't tell people what they hope to do, instead telling them to just Google it, yet couldn't be arsed to go to Google themselves to work out the repayment rates...

Degrees get you all kinds of things, but common sense is way down the ****ing list, eh?
My understanding is that he is applying for jobs still
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tcc200)
Realistically, it is a real minority of graduates that earn £50,000+ in year one. The average UK salary is £31k, including non-graduates.

Some will - mainly in investment banking - but these schemes are unbelievably competitive (the number of applications for the largest companies can be in the hundreds of thousands). You would often need more than just a university degree to get in, I would imagine.

Usually, graduates can expect to earn £20k-£30k and the move up in the following years, depending on the sector. Graduate jobs are probably more about gaining experience than anything else, though admittedly salary is always an important consideration.

Just mentioning in case anyone reading this gets the wrong end of the stick about what ‘normal’ is for graduates
This is true. Average for graduates is more towards £35K and that's only on graduate schemes. For juniors around £25K. After 1 year, you can double it. For contracting, you can easily start off £50K+ if you've got the skills. After a few years at least, can get to £75K - £90K perm and over £150K contract. This is for engineering roles. I don't know about investment banking. You start quite low and then it rapidly increases due to commercial experience. Degrees don't mean much at all with IT and engineering. More likely starting out is £25K - £35K.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My understanding is that he is applying for jobs still
Mine too, hence the bits in bold:
(Original post by Drewski)
I just find it funny that this guy is humble bragging about the amount of money they're not yet earning, won't tell people what they hope to do....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads