University - Well paid careers starting with Bio, Chem and Sociology at AL?

Watch
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Guys any advice, I have straight A’s at GCSEs, going to do biology, chemistry and sociology a levels, what degree can I do so after graduation I can get a 40k+ salary and progress, medicine and dentistry is tedious and I’m not sure what else is out there
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I've heard that oxford mathematics graduates make a lot of money. A friend of mine had an offer for £75K but turned it down for one that was £45K because of workplace culture.

It wasn't his degree that got him those though. He is a brilliant programmer. There's a lot of money in programming still if you build up a good portfolio of work. You don't even need to do a compsci degree for it. Pick a degree you like and join the coding clubs and participate in hackathons. Build up a portfolio and then the recruiters won't be able to help falling over themselves.

You do have to put in the work though. It's all about building up a skillset that employers are looking for before you reach the job market, whatever the area is you want to go into. Your extracurricular interests will be far more important than the area your degree is in.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to let you know, I’ve moved your thread into applications and UCAS. Hopefully you should receive more answers.
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This may help

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
Guys any advice, I have straight A’s at GCSEs, going to do biology, chemistry and sociology a levels, what degree can I do so after graduation I can get a 40k+ salary and progress, medicine and dentistry is tedious and I’m not sure what else is out there
Ghostface6001
Wow, those are incredible grades, well done indeed! As a general rule of thumb alot of public service roles have a maximum of 34k at the moment; examples are being a teacher, joining the army as a soldier etc. I have a degree in Sociology and I would say your chances are limited of getting 34K plus without many years of work to progress up the ladder in an organisation like a college or university. I would avoid psychology because you need doctorate level study to earn megabucks in that field.

According to Payscale, The average salary for a Pharmacist in United Kingdom is £37389. That might appeal to your interest in science

Best of luck i'm sure you will do amazing at whatever you choose

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll eventually discover that 'a happy life' does not depend on how much money you earn.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve amended your thread title to see if it attracts more responses.

I’d agree with McGinger that picking a career solely on the basis of salary is likely to be very unsatisfying and ultimately unsustainable. I’d start with what you enjoy doing and then look at well paying roles within the associated sector.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could do Law with those subjects, or lots of other things.
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
You could do Law with those subjects, or lots of other things.
No jobs for law grads
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No jobs for law grads
I don't know, the ones with AAA and above at A level still seem to do ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (9)
37.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (13)
54.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed