Applied to over 40, unsuccessful. What am I doing wrong?

Watch
moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got my cv reviewed by a careers advisor a few days ago and he helped rewrite some parts. I applied to a few more jobs using the updated cv, including home bargains, only to then receive an email saying I wasn't selected for interview. What else can I do. I spoke to a cousin who worked in retail and he just said lie
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Part-time jobs are difficult to get right now because of the pandemic but there should still be lots of caring roles available if that is something that you would not mind doing?
Last edited by 0le; 1 month ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moso2203)
I got my cv reviewed by a careers advisor a few days ago and he helped rewrite some parts. I applied to a few more jobs using the updated cv, including home bargains, only to then receive an email saying I wasn't selected for interview. What else can I do. I spoke to a cousin who worked in retail and he just said lie
'a few days ago' and 'over 40' aren't matching.

You need to put more effort into the applications. Nothing generic, every application tailored to the role, with a covering letter, taking note of any deadlines, tracking applications, and above all, giving evidence of relevant skills on one side of A4.

There's a CV Help forum on TSR that can give specific advice.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to add to the good advice above...

Tailoring a CV requires reading the job description, including its person specification, as well as the values of the company if available. You then modify your CV to demonstrate that you meet the key parts of the role and also match those values. This modification can be quick or lengthy. For me, it can take several hours to apply to a job which is advertised directly on a company website. After that, I am usually quite tired and I do not feel the need to make another application for the day. Jobs applied via agencies takes me anywhere between 30 mins to several hours. It really depends on the length of the job description.

I have applied to so many roles that I have many CV's stored on my hard drive. When I apply to a new role, I select a CV from a previous application which already has the majority of the content I wish to talk about. I then work on tailoring that CV accordingly for the current application. So for example, let us say that I recently applied to Microsoft and Halifax. If I then make an application to Google, I am more likely to choose the CV from Microsoft to modify, since the CV from Halifax will probably require more modifications.

Here is some advice about tailoring the CV. If the job requires writing documents and risk assessments then you want your experience to focus more on these areas. Therefore you would mention reports, leaflets and presentations that you wrote, including software that you used such as MS Word or Publisher etc. If there is a heavy emphasis on team work, then you may want to include more team projects. This skill can also include helping others through training, "giving someone a hand" or leading a team. Some job descriptions place emphasis on communication skills. Therefore it would be useful to highlight any experience where you have customer-facing interactions or where you have delivered presentations.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
If this is a technical role (e.g. software development, engineering, DevOps etc.) then don't waste your time with 'career advisors'. They won't have a clue. If this is for some other type of role, I probably can't help you much. Note: I have interviewed and hired quite a few engineers and I review CVs all the time.
route255
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0le)
Just to add to the good advice above...

Tailoring a CV requires reading the job description, including its person specification, as well as the values of the company if available. You then modify your CV to demonstrate that you meet the key parts of the role and also match those values. This modification can be quick or lengthy. For me, it can take several hours to apply to a job which is advertised directly on a company website. After that, I am usually quite tired and I do not feel the need to make another application for the day. Jobs applied via agencies takes me anywhere between 30 mins to several hours. It really depends on the length of the job description.

I have applied to so many roles that I have many CV's stored on my hard drive. When I apply to a new role, I select a CV from a previous application which already has the majority of the content I wish to talk about. I then work on tailoring that CV accordingly for the current application. So for example, let us say that I recently applied to Microsoft and Halifax. If I then make an application to Google, I am more likely to choose the CV from Microsoft to modify, since the CV from Halifax will probably require more modifications.

Here is some advice about tailoring the CV. If the job requires writing documents and risk assessments then you want your experience to focus more on these areas. Therefore you would mention reports, leaflets and presentations that you wrote, including software that you used such as MS Word or Publisher etc. If there is a heavy emphasis on team work, then you may want to include more team projects. This skill can also include helping others through training, "giving someone a hand" or leading a team. Some job descriptions place emphasis on communication skills. Therefore it would be useful to highlight any experience where you have customer-facing interactions or where you have delivered presentations.
Sounds similar to me , my documents folder is mostly CVs. Takes me time to do an applications, especially if its a form with questions.
route255
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moso2203)
I have applied Home Bargains a few times. I first thought they had a radius for applicants and that's why I was being rejected. But I had one interview and the manager said it doesn't matter if you apply fast or not.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
Sounds similar to me , my documents folder is mostly CVs. Takes me time to do an applications, especially if its a form with questions.
Application questions in forms are the worst.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.62%
Excited but a bit nervous (115)
45.63%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.1%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise