username5775552
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am going to Sixth form in September and I am considering dropping one of my 4 a level options to take Btec Sport level 3 as I did it at GCSE and really enjoyed it. How is the workload in Btecs at A-level?? And would I realistically be able to handle it all??
reb3kah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Btec are horrible. U are better sticking with a level at least they are recognised more in universities. I did a btec and didnt manage it until the end of 1 year, they really pressure u and u have to know exactly what u want to do with it after. My neighbour also had the same problems with btec, she applied to leeds Beckett university for photography, couldn't get in and still hasnt re applied because they told her she was missing half the knowledge and subjects they required. A levels are the safer route. At least then u get to have more variety and get to choose specifically what u want to do. Often with btec u will get some subjects that arent important to what u want to do and have to do them bc its mandatory. For example in art when they were telling ua about level 3 they added a 4th class for art history, when I was aiming to do more photography digital based I could only drop 1 subject if i had got onto level 3. It's very limited in terms of work placement and job opportunities were slim. Btec in general is not worth it, there isnt much of a difference from what u learnt in GCSE. The work was somewhat easy not challenging at all but it was the amount of work I had to do in a short time that I struggled with and the teachers can be a bit mixed u will get some good teachers that know what they're doing and how to manage large classes then u get the few that do a terrible job of teaching btec. since its more practical based i found I was given lots of useless work and the staff were generally unhelpful and told me i had to do it myself, when I asked them for help. u should expect less sort of stand up and teach and u will most likely be expected to be an independent student whereas in a levels they actually teach u what u need to learn and give u the information to revise from. If u want a more knowledge based workload I would pick a level if u arent fussed about it I would choose btec for the practicality of the lessons but like I say be expected to be an independent student, sometimes the support u can get on the courses for btec are lacked.
username5775552
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by reb3kah)
Btec are horrible. U are better sticking with a level at least they are recognised more in universities. I did a btec and didnt manage it until the end of 1 year, they really pressure u and u have to know exactly what u want to do with it after. My neighbour also had the same problems with btec, she applied to leeds Beckett university for photography, couldn't get in and still hasnt re applied because they told her she was missing half the knowledge and subjects they required. A levels are the safer route. At least then u get to have more variety and get to choose specifically what u want to do. Often with btec u will get some subjects that arent important to what u want to do and have to do them bc its mandatory. For example in art when they were telling ua about level 3 they added a 4th class for art history, when I was aiming to do more photography digital based I could only drop 1 subject if i had got onto level 3. It's very limited in terms of work placement and job opportunities were slim. Btec in general is not worth it, there isnt much of a difference from what u learnt in GCSE. The work was somewhat easy not challenging at all but it was the amount of work I had to do in a short time that I struggled with and the teachers can be a bit mixed u will get some good teachers that know what they're doing and how to manage large classes then u get the few that do a terrible job of teaching btec. since its more practical based i found I was given lots of useless work and the staff were generally unhelpful and told me i had to do it myself, when I asked them for help. u should expect less sort of stand up and teach and u will most likely be expected to be an independent student whereas in a levels they actually teach u what u need to learn and give u the information to revise from. If u want a more knowledge based workload I would pick a level if u arent fussed about it I would choose btec for the practicality of the lessons but like I say be expected to be an independent student, sometimes the support u can get on the courses for btec are lacked.
Thx for this, this seems much more honest than websites online saying ‘HoW gReAt BtEcS aRe’ they probably just want to get me people into them, and tbf the Btec I was looking at (sport) has absolutely nothing to do with the sort of degrees I’m looking at anyway, the only reason why I want to do it is because 1. I enjoyed it at GCSE (but by the sounds of it, it may not be as fun and laid back at a-level/level 3) and 2. Because the P.E department and especially my teacher wanted me to study it. (they said that they would like me to do the actual A-level P.E course but it clashed with Geography so I couldn’t take both) but yh anyway thx for ur help
Last edited by username5775552; 1 month ago
Georgev21
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends on the btec, but i found that taking a btec instead of an a-level really helped when exams came around in terms of revision being lighter. In terms of future prospects, it depends what unis and courses your looking at they usually have a specific policy on btecs. For context i got offers from two Russel group unis with 2 a-levels and a BTEC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.62%
Excited but a bit nervous (115)
45.63%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.1%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads