sumyoyati
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I had wanted to take 4 adv higher subjects: Maths, Physics, Art, and Chemistry.
Sadly the 3 chemistry classes available clash with the one art and one physics classes( If that makes sense (?) So I have to drop one
I want to do either architecture or engineering, Art is definitely necessary for architecture; Chemistry isn’t necessary for either but would be great for engineering, apparently.
The only reason I wanted to do 4 is because I don’t know what I want to do!! Now I have to chose
Which one should I drop?
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you got good grades at higher or are expecting to get good grades you do not need advanced Highers most of the time. It is likely if you have all As in the subjects above and a good personal statement you will get a unconditional. However this isn’t always guaranteed so doing relevant subjects in s6 is good. 4 advanced Highers is a crazy amount and would be so much work I do 2 and at times I struggled quite a lot with the work load especially if you will be doing projects in al of those subjects apart from maths. Honestly choose the subjects you like the best as it’s likely they will be relevant to the course you will choose in one way and the universities do put more of an emphasis on Highers, some universities don’t even accept advanced Highers as apart of the entry requirements. I’d do 2 advanced Highers and maybe a 3rd if you really feel the need to but only do 3 if you the relevant higher grades.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't spread yourself too thinly. If you get the grades in S5 for your Highers check if you really need 4 AH. Better to come out with 2 good AH grades than 4 mediocre ones.

I am looking at engineering - S5 I have Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and French. S6 I am taking AH Maths, AH Physics, Crash H Geography (for civil engineering), H PE (for a bit of light relief/lose those lockdown pounds) and outside school a SCQF7 10 Credit (100 hours) engineering module.

Why are you still picking subjects at this late stage, or are you just reconsidering? Our S6 timetable started today (3 weeks later than normal). Just had our first AH Physics class, there are only 4 of us taking it in our school, and the teacher has terrified us by saying it is the hardest AH in Scotland, and much harder than A Level :eek: Did you do Physics Ototot? Any tips? Our teacher thinks this years modifications will still be in place for 2021/2022 and there won't be a project again this year which is both a disappointment and relief!
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
Don't spread yourself too thinly. If you get the grades in S5 for your Highers check if you really need 4 AH. Better to come out with 2 good AH grades than 4 mediocre ones.

I am looking at engineering - S5 I have Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and French. S6 I am taking AH Maths, AH Physics, Crash H Geography (for civil engineering), H PE (for a bit of light relief/lose those lockdown pounds) and outside school a SCQF7 10 Credit (100 hours) engineering module.

Why are you still picking subjects at this late stage, or are you just reconsidering? Our S6 timetable started today (3 weeks later than normal). Just had our first AH Physics class, there are only 4 of us taking it in our school, and the teacher has terrified us by saying it is the hardest AH in Scotland, and much harder than A Level :eek: Did you do Physics Ototot? Any tips? Our teacher thinks this years modifications will still be in place for 2021/2022 and there won't be a project again this year which is both a disappointment and relief!
I have not taken physics ever lol I am not I science person at all. I only know from the experience of my friends, I think most of them find it ok but have missed the project aspect especially the ones who are going onto do physics or something similar. But everyone is on the same boat with not being able to do projects so it should disadvantage you too much especially as most uni courses aim to teach as if you have never been taught the subject before.
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s no need to have 4 advanced highers. The most any uni will ask for is 3.
sumyoyati
Rep:
?
Hi everyone, I know everyone's saying I don't necessarily need 4 adv highers, but I just genuinely would like to learn 4!! 5 of my friends are also doing 4 adv subjects (and that's just from my circle), so it's a very 'normal' thing here, my year head actually suggested it (he more so suggested taking a mix of 4 highers and adv).

But!! Anyways, I've come to a solution, I'm dropping adv chem since it's too complicated to have to do on my own, and I'm taking mathematics of mechanics instead as my fourth!!

Thanks everyone for your responses
sumyoyati
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ototot)
If you got good grades at higher or are expecting to get good grades you do not need advanced Highers most of the time. It is likely if you have all As in the subjects above and a good personal statement you will get a unconditional. However this isn’t always guaranteed so doing relevant subjects in s6 is good. 4 advanced Highers is a crazy amount and would be so much work I do 2 and at times I struggled quite a lot with the work load especially if you will be doing projects in al of those subjects apart from maths. Honestly choose the subjects you like the best as it’s likely they will be relevant to the course you will choose in one way and the universities do put more of an emphasis on Highers, some universities don’t even accept advanced Highers as apart of the entry requirements. I’d do 2 advanced Highers and maybe a 3rd if you really feel the need to but only do 3 if you the relevant higher grades.
I did pretty well in my higher assessments, all A's, and I'm getting my final results tomorrow so fingers crossed!! So yup I probably won't need adv highers, and I know universities don't exactly priorities adv highers.
But, the thing is, everyone I know that's either gotten into Oxbridge or MIT, like family friends or just kids I know, all had taken 4 adv highers. And I'm aiming for Cambridge!!
The workload is gonna be insane, definitely, but I want to take on the challenge and power through it
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey sumyoyati I think I'd agree with what some of the others in this thread are saying here, particularly BlackLab's point about doing 2 AHs really well would be better than doing 4 kinda well, but of course it's your choice and if your school are happy for you to do 4 then that's up to you! One thing I'd say is don't feel bad if after a few weeks you feel like changing your options - as 4 is quite a lot to take on and most unis don't require that many, especially if you've been able to set yourself up well with your highers.

For most Engineering courses at Strathclyde we recommend AH Maths and Physics. For Architecture, we don't recommend any AHs but we like to see Higher studies in Art-based subjecs (Art, Design & Manufacture for example). Based on what you've said already, dropping Chemistry would likely be the one I would agree with. I'd be inclined to recommend focusing on the three that will be really relevant to your course(s) and using any extra time to focus on your extra-curricular activities to support your application (developing team working, problem solving, communication skills for example). Have a think about how you can enhance your application in other ways that aren't solely academic, as grades aren't everything when it comes to your uni application

Best of luck receiving your results today! Well done on all your hard work so far, and good luck for your S6!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 advanced highers might be ‘normal’ but it’s not attainable unless you’re working yourself silly. Many find themselves stressed with just 3. There’s no need to put yourself under that much pressure.

Since this is something suggested by your year head/guidance (which at no other school in the country they would suggest this) what are your schools successes like surrounding advanced highers? I suppose it looks good to have kids doing adv highers in general but I’d put my money on a lot of Cs and Ds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.8%
No I am happy with my choice (69)
55.2%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.2%

Watched Threads