how are you_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay so my predicted grades are not the best partly because I was ill during my exams at the start and after having received my first set of bad grades I lost motivation throughout the year. We are looking at C - B grades.

But after having met a councillor my motivation is back and I really really really want to get into Cambridge. It would mean everything to me. I'd even commit to 8 hours revision a day just to even be slightly recommended. Obvs with those predicted I can't so what do I do?

Do I just take a gap year? and if I do that then does that mean Ill be applying to other unis with those bad grades, without intention of joining?

Any answer will be very appreciated because (not even joking) this is draining my will to live
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So are you looking to apply this October? Dependent on your subject it may be worth applying with grades you already have, so waiting until next October to apply. If you choose to apply after, it may be worth keeping contact with a favourite teacher for your UCAS reference. For Maths this isn't so possible, but for something like English or Classics it is standard enough.

However, and I say this with all the love in my heart, maybe you shouldn't. Oxford and Cambridge are brutal. I'm just finishing up my third year at Oxford. Did you know we have something called 5th week blues here? It's a whole week where everyone is really depressed because we all feel constantly behind, and it's normalised. The terms are 8 weeks, no reading week, and you will frequently be pushed above and beyond your limit. You get home at the end of term and sleep for a week because it is that draining. If you have mental health issues, as I have had, this sort of environment may just exacerbate the problem.
how are you_
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
So are you looking to apply this October? Dependent on your subject it may be worth applying with grades you already have, so waiting until next October to apply. If you choose to apply after, it may be worth keeping contact with a favourite teacher for your UCAS reference. For Maths this isn't so possible, but for something like English or Classics it is standard enough.

However, and I say this with all the love in my heart, maybe you shouldn't. Oxford and Cambridge are brutal. I'm just finishing up my third year at Oxford. Did you know we have something called 5th week blues here? It's a whole week where everyone is really depressed because we all feel constantly behind, and it's normalised. The terms are 8 weeks, no reading week, and you will frequently be pushed above and beyond your limit. You get home at the end of term and sleep for a week because it is that draining. If you have mental health issues, as I have had, this sort of environment may just exacerbate the problem.
Im looking to study economics but I was thinking it'd be useless with B's or C's right? Should I just apply anyway?

Also I understand how demanding oxbridge are, I really do. But it'd be a dream for me to get in. Id be as committed as humanly possible and do as much as I can.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by how are you_)
Okay so my predicted grades are not the best partly because I was ill during my exams at the start and after having received my first set of bad grades I lost motivation throughout the year. We are looking at C - B grades.

But after having met a councillor my motivation is back and I really really really want to get into Cambridge. It would mean everything to me. I'd even commit to 8 hours revision a day just to even be slightly recommended. Obvs with those predicted I can't so what do I do?

Do I just take a gap year? and if I do that then does that mean Ill be applying to other unis with those bad grades, without intention of joining?

Any answer will be very appreciated because (not even joking) this is draining my will to live
Are you holding a Firm and an Insurance for this autumn coming?
how are you_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Are you holding a Firm and an Insurance for this autumn coming?
not yet
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
not yet
Oh, I see,

Did you not apply for this year?
Oeeeeee!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

But after having met a councillor my motivation is back
You need to get your grammar back as well
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're not getting into Cambridge. Find a more realistic goal.
SomeWelshGuy123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im looking to study economics but I was thinking it'd be useless with B's or C's right? Should I just apply anyway?

Also I understand how demanding oxbridge are, I really do. But it'd be a dream for me to get in. Id be as committed as humanly possible and do as much as I can.
Think it's time you face reality. You aren't getting into Cambridge if you're predicted Bs and Cs.
M12355
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey! I experienced basically the exact same scenario as you. It really affected where I could apply to uni. However, I worked really really hard and now have really good a level results. You say you're working really hard, so this is probably the same case as you, and it is likely you'll get much better grades than your predicted. You have two options: go through clearing. This means when you get your results you can apply to uni with your new grades- I recommend doing some more research into it! Or, take a gap year. This means you'll apply with your actual A-level results for the year 2022, and will get unconditional offers for uni places as you already have the grades. So, I'd say if you want to get into Cambridge to take a gap year as they most likely don't do clearing places. So, don't worry about your predicted grades stressing you out, like I said I was in the exact same position and made it out!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Applying for Economics - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/economics_degree

All top Unis will now be 'closed' for Economics - and your grades are way too low.
You might get an offer from a middle or lower Uni IF they are still accepting applications.
Phone the Unis below (Admissions Office) and check that they are still 'open' for Economics : Aberystwyth (BBB-CCC), Birmingham City (BBC), Bournemouth (BBC), Huddersfield (BBB), Middlesex (BCC-BBB), Winchester (102 points).
lmao321
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What did I just read? You can't get into Cambridge with B or C. People with A/A*'s sometimes get rejected
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Sorry to hear you’ve had problems. When you refer to studying 8 hours a day do you mean additional to school hours or inclusive of them?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think that realistically you need to focus on getting great grades in 2022 and then apply for 2023 entry. I trust you are studying the required A levels?
agameofchxss
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hiya! Oxford offer holder here

My first question would be is it just that you want to be at Cambridge, or that you specifically want to do an undergraduate course there?
If it's that you just want to study at Cambridge, regardless of when, my best advice would be to apply to another university for your Bachelors, and work hard to get a 1:1 there and then try to apply for a Masters at Cambridge (as they don't take into account anything before your degree!).
If it's an undergrad course you're looking to do, then I'd either wait to see your results this year and apply this October with those grades, or take a gap year and apply in October 2022. Spend the year resitting any exams you would need to (and also doing things outside of the curriculum that are related to your field!), and get the grades you need (if you sit them in June 2022, then apply in October 2022 already meeting those grades, then any offer you received would be unconditional. The only downside to this latter option is you're basically stopped from starting there until 2023).

I'm sorry some people are being discouraging in the thread, covering it as being "realistic" - the careers counsellor at Sixth Form told me to not even bother applying to Oxford with my GCSE grades (grades which were by no means awful but were impacted by both physical and mental illness on my part, and the death of my Grandfather), but I learnt at A-Level that you can always turn stuff around with hard work and enough motivation. The only thing I would ask you to consider is whether it would be detrimental to your health for you to go? As somebody has already pounted out, there is such a thing as '5th Week blues', not to mention the insane competition (already kicking off in the Fresher's groupchats, would you believe!) and the workload. It is a lot to cope with, and you have to be able to see a bad grade and be motivated to do better by it, not give up. This is why I suggested maybe doing a Masters at Cambs instead - it'll just give you some time to get into a bit of a better headspace, especially about grades etc, while still allowing you to study at Cambridge.

Hopefully this was helpful in some way, and I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (49)
28.16%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.05%
No I am happy with my choice (97)
55.75%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
8.05%

Watched Threads