Anxiety about getting a Job

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone please idk, reassure me? just so that I can actually get a job. I’m on a gap year right now, uni in September. I’ve been trying to apply for a part time job since the end of 2019, but I always give up. The application process is so long like they ask so many questions and in the meantime I begin overthinking about interview and so many scenarios in the job setting because i have social anxiety. I get so scared, stomach cramps, chest tightening so I just delete my application. I’m never able to submit an application because as I go through the so many questions I also overthink. I once completed 2 applications and got asked to come for an interview, but I got super anxious and didn’t go. I really want a job, but my anxiety is holding me back. I don’t know what to do (
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Honestly the best way to overcome this is just to put yourself out there, go to interviews and get a job. It will be really tough in the beginning but gets better I promise. Also speak to your doctor about medication/therapy for social anxiety.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Honestly the best way to overcome this is just to put yourself out there, go to interviews and get a job. It will be really tough in the beginning but gets better I promise. Also speak to your doctor about medication/therapy for social anxiety.
Thank you it’s just I overthink so much about the questions they will ask and what if I’m not able to answer and then what I’ll do in that situation. I just think of worst case scenarios
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can someone please idk, reassure me? just so that I can actually get a job. I’m on a gap year right now, uni in September. I’ve been trying to apply for a part time job since the end of 2019, but I always give up. The application process is so long like they ask so many questions and in the meantime I begin overthinking about interview and so many scenarios in the job setting because i have social anxiety. I get so scared, stomach cramps, chest tightening so I just delete my application. I’m never able to submit an application because as I go through the so many questions I also overthink. I once completed 2 applications and got asked to come for an interview, but I got super anxious and didn’t go. I really want a job, but my anxiety is holding me back. I don’t know what to do (
honestly I was the exact same, but getting a job really helped my confidence
keep persevering and you’ll get something, and in the interviews just try to relax and wing it, that’s what I did ahaha Xx
jas149
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been through something similar 2 years ago. In total, I've probably cancelled around 7 interviews. I overcame my anxiety by just trying to find out what it is that is actually causing me to be anxious and what I could do to change this. I've realised that I was anxious because I was nervous about being rejected. I sort of just asked myself "what's the worst that can happen?". It's much better to attend an interview and get rejected, rather than skip the interview. Life's too short to dwell over the little things but yeah, try to find the core cause of your anxiety
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Thank you it’s just I overthink so much about the questions they will ask and what if I’m not able to answer and then what I’ll do in that situation. I just think of worst case scenarios
Just remember even if you don't get this role, it's not the end of the world, roles will come up in future. Also the more interviews you do the less nervous you get. Trust me I understand as I have social anxiety too.
crazyowlthing123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i feel the same way. Alot of my friends have sarted getting jobs and I don't think I can put myslef out there. I am really scared. I really don't want to, but I feel if I dont put myself out there I will never go out and get a job
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is loads of advice and information in books and online about interview technique, types of questions, and to frame answers, even in the TSR Careers forum. Research and practice make perfect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
29.03%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.45%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
59.68%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
4.84%

Watched Threads