theguy456
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What is the workload like in Year 1? Should I do furthers maths A-level would that help? Is there any coding/programming involved that I should look into?
Thanks
liquoricetsr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doing further maths would help but is obviously inessential (plenty of people don't have it). Subjects like matrices and complex numbers come up a lot + you're just getting more general exposure to mathematics.

You do MATLAB programming as part of your maths modules, you won't need to prepare for it before starting though + you need the paid software licence which UCL gives you (I think).

Workload will be tough but this is a good thing, it is hard for everyone and this forces you to develop as a person. You are wasting your time with any uni course which doesn't challenge you. Ultimately, it is do-able and you can access the support you need in any areas you struggle with by reaching out to your lecturers.

I study biochemical engineering at UCL (I would defo consider this for your degree subject also, you can always switch once you're in as you'll have the grades for either course). All of our engineering courses at UCL share the some core modules + optional ones through the IEP (google it) which is great.
theguy456
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by liquoricetsr)
Doing further maths would help but is obviously inessential (plenty of people don't have it). Subjects like matrices and complex numbers come up a lot + you're just getting more general exposure to mathematics.

You do MATLAB programming as part of your maths modules, you won't need to prepare for it before starting though + you need the paid software licence which UCL gives you (I think).

Workload will be tough but this is a good thing, it is hard for everyone and this forces you to develop as a person. You are wasting your time with any uni course which doesn't challenge you. Ultimately, it is do-able and you can access the support you need in any areas you struggle with by reaching out to your lecturers.

I study biochemical engineering at UCL (I would defo consider this for your degree subject also, you can always switch once you're in as you'll have the grades for either course). All of our engineering courses at UCL share the some core modules + optional ones through the IEP (google it) which is great.
Thanks so much this helped a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (38)
29.01%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
9.16%
No I am happy with my choice (72)
54.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
6.87%

Watched Threads