What are some good books to compare for English Literature in year 13, A Level

Watch
AJayJ
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, I've just began year 13 and have continued my English Literature A Level studies, and now have to pick 2 books to compare; 1 from before 2000 and 1 from after 2000. I'm interested in books based around feminism and racism but have already done books such as Jane Eyre, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Of Mice and Men. I would like to do books such as The Colour Purple, The Handmaid's Tale or something of a similar nature. I don't really want to do a lengthy book and am not all that interested in novels based around romance, and would like to avoid particularly depressing books (if possible).Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
banannabelle17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AJayJ)
So, I've just began year 13 and have continued my English Literature A Level studies, and now have to pick 2 books to compare; 1 from before 2000 and 1 from after 2000. I'm interested in books based around feminism and racism but have already done books such as Jane Eyre, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Of Mice and Men. I would like to do books such as The Colour Purple, The Handmaid's Tale or something of a similar nature. I don't really want to do a lengthy book and am not all that interested in novels based around romance, and would like to avoid particularly depressing books (if possible).Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
A good book from after 2000 which you would definitely be able to compare with the handmaids tale is the power by Naomi alderman! It’s a dystopian book, essentially what would happen if all women everywhere were given a sort of superpower? Would a matriarchy be better than a patriarchy? (and u obviously don’t have to agree with the view it takes, I don’t 100%, but it’s still interesting)
Aminaofficial
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how about this: harry potter and the philosiphores stone and of mice and men, you could compare the theme of friendship - this is just a suggestion, i dont do english A levels at all i do childcare but i loves reading and i loved english lit in yr 11 soo....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.62%
Excited but a bit nervous (115)
45.63%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.1%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads