evmoore
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study biological sciences at uni are there any books I should read in particular to help with my personal statement/expand knowledge
ENUOfficial
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evmoore)
I want to study biological sciences at uni are there any books I should read in particular to help with my personal statement/expand knowledge
Heyy

General knowledge and awareness of Virology and histology is useful for the course as this follows on from Higher Biology so if you have already studied this, it will be useful to look over your notes

I hope this helps!

Steph @ ENU
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A good grounding in evolution is always helpful. I like Neil Shubin's "Your Inner Fish" for a general introduction and his recent "Some Assembly Required" which describes some of the mechanisms of mutation in a really up-to-date way. Richard Dawkins' "The Ancestors Tale" covers the evolution of virtually all the major taxa, but it's loooong.

If you're intereted in the more genetic and biochemical side of things, Sean Carrols "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" is a really interesting account of "evo-devo" and any of Nick Lane's books are good on biochemistry ("Sex, Power, Suicide" is a classic account of mitochondria)

If you are interested in good quality science research news of all kinds, consider signing up to the daily email bulletin from Nature https://www.nature.com/briefing/signup/
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there evmoore,

I have just finished my BSc in Biology, and when I applied to my universities I got all of my offers from some of the top universities. My advice is that you should read around your personal interests in the subject, not just off of the reading lists or popular books. You want to highlight your interests, what you want to do with your degree, and why you want to study Biology. Thousands of other prospective students will be reading the same books, try something different and maybe read some current or major research papers! I hope this has helped, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask!

Connor - Third Year Biology Student
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are no books "in particular". When I was reviewing PS's for biology last cycle the same books kept cropping up that people said they had read which makes your PS really unoriginal. If you have specific topics you are interested in, read them! For example if you are interested in cancer, neuroscience etc-read books on those topics!

(I should emphasise my previous point, don't feel the need to go for the really obvious neuroscience books-I think every neuroscience PS I read last year mentioned "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" by Oliver Sacks, a book which is not only old but clearly over-referenced)

(Original post by ENUOfficial)
Heyy

General knowledge and awareness of Virology and histology is useful for the course as this follows on from Higher Biology so if you have already studied this, it will be useful to look over your notes
Interesting you should mention this, I barely did any virology during my degree (which I was told was normal as people studying viruses are pretty rare in the UK), and didn't cover any histology until my masters degree (when I actually started doing it). I doubt you will find many popular books at the moment that cover these topics well (though I expect virology to increase given the pandemic)
OxFossil
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ENUOfficial)
Heyy

I hope this helps!

Steph @ ENU
Histology for Biological Sciences sounds pretty niche tbh. Do you have a specific course in mind?

(Original post by QuentinM)
There are no books "in particular". When I was reviewing PS's for biology last cycle the same books kept cropping up that people said they had read which makes your PS really unoriginal. If you have specific topics you are interested in, read them! For example if you are interested in cancer, neuroscience etc-read books on those topics!

(I should emphasise my previous point, don't feel the need to go for the really obvious neuroscience books-I think every neuroscience PS I read last year mentioned "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" by Oliver Sacks, a book which is not only old but clearly over-referenced)
I second this. My suggestions are all commonly referenced in PSs, so whilst they are good for getting a feel for the subject, they wont do much to make your PS stand out. Chasing up the background papers for a topic you are especially interested in in the Nature Briefing might, though.
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
I second this. My suggestions are all commonly referenced in PSs, so whilst they are good for getting a feel for the subject, they wont do much to make your PS stand out. Chasing up the background papers for a topic you are especially interested in in the Nature Briefing might, though.
Honestly I think just saying you read a nature briefing and found paper X interesting is enough for an undergraduate biology PS, I wouldn't expect people to be able to go seriously in depth naming the paper, its methods etc
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I read Nessa Carey's "Epigenetics Revolution" and loved it.
OxFossil
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
Honestly I think just saying you read a nature briefing and found paper X interesting is enough for an undergraduate biology PS, I wouldn't expect people to be able to go seriously in depth naming the paper, its methods etc
I'm sorry I haven't made myself clear. I certainly would not suggest "naming the paper, its methods etc". But I would say that - in my opinion - the best PSs are those which do more than just name check a piece of writing (whether that's a book, article or paper), and add something specific about why or in what way it kindled their interest.
Last edited by OxFossil; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (40)
14.76%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (88)
32.47%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (33)
12.18%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.49%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.17%
I think it's an unfair expectation (70)
25.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.11%

Watched Threads