Advice for aspiring medicine students who've just finished GCSE

Watch
honey_bear
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just finished my GCSE assessments and am on an extended break until September. I want to do medicine at uni after college, can anyone give me some general advice? Specifically about getting work experience, during COVID, tips for A-levels/college, where to volunteer. It would also be great if someone could show me some useful websites or videos to guide me in the right direction. Many thanks in advance
hungrysalamander
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If covid eases then apply for work experience at GP practices or hospitals as early as you can as they are very competitive. I did the BSMS virtual work experience due to covid so you could also use that in your personal statement. For A-levels make sure that you ask for help soon if you don't understand a topic as it could have a knock down effect and make it harder to catch up. As for volunteering most people did it in care homes but you can do it anywhere if you mention the skills you learned during it, even if it's at your school library. If you haven't picked your A-levels yet, make sure you check the requirements for the universities you wish to apply to. You usually need biology and chemistry but unis such as Cambridge requires biology, chemistry + maths OR physics. Also have a look at UCAT/BMAT questions and decide whether you want to take one or both exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
5.91%
Uncertainty around my education (23)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (23)
11.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (32)
15.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
6.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (17)
8.37%
Financial worries (10)
4.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (15)
7.39%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (24)
11.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (15)
7.39%

Watched Threads