The Student Room Group

[Official thread] June 21st England Reopening Delayed by PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57464097

Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

I can't say I'm surprised by this delay considering the rising infections and need for the young to get vaccinated.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Expecting several threads on this so making this one the official thread. :king1:

Needless to say, I'm not hugely surprised by the decision though disappointed (as always) with the way in which government are choosing to inform the public. Post-modern doesn't cover it.
I don't see the justification.

While cases are rising, it is unlikely this will translate into hospitalisations or deaths that can risk the NHS bring overrun.

Most restrictions have already been lifted. So delaying lifting the remaining restrictions just harms businesses and individuals affected.

It also means we have to put up with the incessant whining of the conspiracy nuts for another month.
Original post by 04MR17
Expecting several threads on this so making this one the official thread. :king1:

Needless to say, I'm not hugely surprised by the decision though disappointed (as always) with the way in which government are choosing to inform the public. Post-modern doesn't cover it.

If only we have a big thread for all COVID related threads :moon:

The leak format is the modern standard for releasing new information. The gaming industry has been doing it for years and their sales are great.
Original post by DiddyDec
If only we have a big thread for all COVID related threads :moon:

feedback and suggestions awaits you if you wish to keep making that point. :hat2:
Original post by 04MR17
feedback and suggestions awaits you if you wish to keep making that point. :hat2:

Already have an open thread :h:
Original post by Trilobite.
I don't see the justification.

While cases are rising, it is unlikely this will translate into hospitalisations or deaths that can risk the NHS bring overrun.

Most restrictions have already been lifted. So delaying lifting the remaining restrictions just harms businesses and individuals affected.

It also means we have to put up with the incessant whining of the conspiracy nuts for another month.

You mean they'll claim vindication of their suspicions of a state power grab and you'll be left with your finger in your mouth. Then don't blame them, blame BJ and his medical "handlers". Precisely because everything else you've just said is true, i.e. no medical justification, ergo it's pure politics.

Oh, and when's the presser by the way, complete with questions from the public and media? I can't find it anywhere on the BBC schedule. Don't tell me they're going to try to sneak this one under the table!
Original post by DiddyDec
Can't you just read the article like a normal person?

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson is due to confirm the delay at a news conference later - at 18:00 BST."

Sure, if you first do me the courtesy of reading what I said :wink:

I didn't doubt that BJ is going to do this, but asked why there was no notice of the requisite presser on the BBC schedule. Well, checked again just now and there it is on BBC News, though not BBC1. I can tell you it wasn't there when I posted before. How late is that? Almost like they're deeply embarrassed by what they've decided to tell us, don't you think? Like BJ doesn't really believe it himself, any more than Corbyn campaigning for Remain, etc.

Anyway, I'll be really interested to see what tack the media interrogators take this time. There had better be some sharp probing of the justification for the (in)action. If it's nothing but the usual bunch of supine lockdown bunnies only ever asking why BJ didn't lock down sooner/harder/faster/longer/oftener and on and on, we might as well not bother watching at that point. Honestly.
wonder if the old folks will ever thanks us
for giving up 1+ years of our lives for them
Original post by yeetouttawindow
wonder if the old folks will ever thanks us
for giving up 1+ years of our lives for them

No.
the date was never set in stone bj said earliest
media went with it as freedom day
Can view announcement live here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone
So the Sword of Damocles strikes. I honestly think that the restrictions we maintain ourselves (SDing, masks, private gatherings) will now tail off very quickly and only the ones on events, businesses and travel will continue to be strictly applied.
(edited 2 years ago)
This makes sense to me, maybe because most of the things I want to do with my life have opened up already, and the one thing that hasn't is foreign travel, and that wasn't ever due to change. (Notwithstanding the fact I live in Wales and am not directly affected by this anyway!)

But the reality is that with the Delta variant, it looks like second jabs are going to be much more important in terms of building the necessary herd immunity than they were before, so getting everyone jabbed once is no longer enough to re-open everything.
Absolutely oppose this.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
This makes sense to me, maybe because most of the things I want to do with my life have opened up already, and the one thing that hasn't is foreign travel, and that wasn't ever due to change. (Notwithstanding the fact I live in Wales and am not directly affected by this anyway!)

But the reality is that with the Delta variant, it looks like second jabs are going to be much more important in terms of building the necessary herd immunity than they were before, so getting everyone jabbed once is no longer enough to re-open everything.

The cause of much of the reasons to continue with the restrictions that remain is entirely Mr Johnson's fault, by not putting India on the red list at the same time as Pakistan and Bangladesh. The increase in cases would be much lower if he had.

He seems only able to be on time for his wedding.
Original post by barnet1471
The cause of much of the reasons to continue with the restrictions that remain is entirely Mr Johnson's fault, by not putting India on the red list at the same time as Pakistan and Bangladesh. The increase in cases would be much lower if he had.

He seems only able to be on time for his wedding.

That may be the case, but the reality is that the damage is done now.
We find out the next steps on Friday, but there still hasn't been a date set for the stage of unlocking equialent to the one that's just been delayed in England. Is it going to happen at all this summer? Who knows?
Reply 18
Deaths are still as flat as a pancake, with a moving weekly average of just 8 per day for almost a month now. By now the moving average should be approaching at least 50 per day, relative to the average number of daily cases, currently around 7500. Hospitalisations (or more accurately those admitted to hospital with Covid, not neccessarily because of Covid) have barely moved either, the current moving average is around 160 per day. In the autumn wave last year, the moving average was closer to 500 per day at around the same average daily cases......

So what am I missing here? Because it's looks very much like the link between cases and hopsitalisation and death has indeed been broken which was the primary goal of vaccinations all along, yet now we have SAGE and the government acting like we're on the brink of apocalyptic deaths and serious illness, potentially worse than the previous waves..... Sorry, I just buy it one bit. Where are all of these deaths going to come from? 99% of those most at risk of dying, ie the elderly and the clinically vulnerable are fully vaccinated, almost all over 50s will be fully vaccinated within weeks and the chances of those who are healthy and under 50 dying or becoming seriously ill is and always has been negligable, and many of them have already been vaccinated too. We have defeated this virus as far as is humanly possible, yet they still refuse to take the victory.

I have little doubt that come the 19th of July, they will find another excuse to maintain restrictions, some new model predicting imminent death and destruction should the rules be lifted "too soon", and it will always be "too soon", until the public collectively refuse to comply with this utter, utter bulls**t.
Who actually cares about Wales?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending